Friday, February 27, 2009

Left-Handed Love







I'm getting together a box of goodies from the USA to send to my Korean father. It is his birthday in March. I'm also getting together party supplies for Lucy's fourth birthday which is also in March. In fact, these two--my father and my second born--have more in common than is obviously apparent. They are both left-handed--not a minor trait to inherit. They are both kind, or course, and thoughtful, and and and...
So, I knew Lucy was born with a heavy love for flowers. I mean, all little girls love a bouquet, but Lucy has to be physically restrained in people's yards in order to protect their pansies. She. Must. Pick. Flowers. If you let her outside, the result will be a weed bouquet carefully bunched. Knowing this, It came as no surprise when the urge to arrange began to show itself. She begged for a past-its-prime bouquet of roses from Valentine's Day. I sat and watched her carefully clip the long stems to fit in her "vase" and pluck bent and browned petals from the blooms. She worked tirelessly until she had all the salvageable roses arranged in three vases (every florist knows that flowers are best arranged in multiples of threes). She concentrated with tongue exposed just like her florist grandfather.
My dad passed down this passion for plants to me, but I'm right-handed and I don't think it was in my blood like I see it in Lucy's. She has great gardens in her future for sure.

9 comments:

Carol said...

I love how she has her tongue out with concentration...so cute.

Katy said...

So glad you've returned! We missed you.

Ann said...

She's her grandfather's granddaughter!

Jessica Womble said...

Yeah for left handed people! :)

Kurt Knudsen said...

I LOVE LUCY!
LOVE THE CONCENTRATING TONGUE!
LOVE HER LOVE OF FLOWERS!
LOVE HER MOM FOR FOSTERING THAT LOVE!

Rebecca said...

The tongue is the first thing I noticed! And then the concentration and then the short roses. Yes, Grampa K in tiny form.

Elizabeth said...

Very sweet! My daughter is very much like my mother. It is fun to find the similarities.
Glad you are back!

sara b said...

So glad you are back! Can't wait to inhabit your guest room in March and catch up face to face. Which Marathon Ms. Jordan? I am running the Nashville again this year in April, care to join me? Maybe Dr. Gooch and Mr. Mac can watch all 7 kiddos while we treat ourselves to a run together. See you soon.

michelle said...

How wonderful that you are encouraging her passion! Yes, three small vases are better than one large bouquet any day. Smart girl.