Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cousins Are Way Better Than School



Clover: like a bowl-round and full of good stuff!



Azure: just like the sky, she's perpetually sunny and sweet.




Olive: the world is her stage and life is her playground.


Pearl: Katy's version of Seth, serious, left-handed, would rather be *one on one*, never misses a beat, but keeps it to herself.




Divine: She's smart and determined and growing up so!


I had to physically put Seth on the bus this morning (don't ever try this, the very act saws your life-giving organ slowly in two and throws each half a different direction). With two babies still sleeping and an unconscious Dr. Gooch...well, driving my boy wasn't a viable option. I cried to the bus driver, "He's having a hard day *sniff* *sniff*", she looked at me like, "you are pathetic". I kissed him, reassured him but lost it when I turned around to descend the bus steps and felt his little hand tug my jacket. "He'll be fine", she quickly said to my back. "What do you know", I thought and cried all the way home. I penned (or keyboarded) a note to his teacher then settled into the post-vacay blues. They (the blues) found me when the morning routine only produced a grumpy, reluctant school boy, and also three girls with only me left to entertain, hold, feed, and kiss them. And there's the pile of unpaid bills, the laundry, the sticky counter tops, and well, I could go on. No more cousins, no more Gammy, no more aunt and uncle from which to get a different (better?) view of life than just plain old mom. Yes, I miss the Dills. I miss Katy and being with her with our kids together. It was so easy and comforting. To feel understood and to understand.

Cousins are WAY better than curriculum and beaches are WAY better than buses!

13 comments:

Katy said...

I concur. With all. Of the above.

I think we need each other. Seth needs Olive's non-sibling silliness. Lucy needs a gammy to applaud her catwalks and twirls. Hazel needs an Aunt's lap. Avery needs Divine to carry her around and mother her in a child's way. And we need each other. Period.

Suzanne said...

Good morning, Jordan. I can relate. We just got back from a vacation full of surprises for our boys: the destination being a mouse with big ears but importantly the bigger treat was our travel companions-Gramma and Papa. The letdown was enormous and the re-entry tough. Wishing you a gentle day as you ease back into routine.

Michelle said...

sorry to hear about Seth, after a weekend like that it's totally understandable. There really is nothing better than spending time with a sister- it really is those times when you can truly be yourself and not have to entertain or be aware of conversation.

bird on the lawn said...

beautiful pics. beautiful day. beautiful family.
I love when we get to remember what life is all about.

Ingrid said...

Jordan, you have such a beautiful heart and a gift for words. The school bus moment with you and Seth breaks my heart! I just got all choked up reading this post and absolutely agree that cousins are WAY better than school and that bond you have with Katy and her little dills is certainly a special one. May you all live closer one day and may you have more moments at the beach...wink wink

gammy said...

Oh Mangum family! I miss you all. The tiny traintrack are slowly dissapating back into the sterile carpet. No sweet little voice athking Gammy quethtions. No one dancing, not dainty little body crawling quietly about.

It was wonderful having extra family here.
Cannot wait until you can return.

Ann said...

Poor Sethro. Aren't sisters the best?

Rebecca said...

We DO need each other. I am so grateful we have so many people we need! And you aren't pathetic; it is called: you are a mother.

Kurt Knudsen said...

Sorry Seth had to go back to school so soon. Sorry you had to be the one to put him on the bus.
Maybe you need a Florida Sandbox out back.

Shawna B. said...

Oh. The return can be tough. Sticky counters, stinky van ... that's my life, too! So glad you had your Florida fun. Go back often, no matter what it takes. Sweet Seth - I think I understand him. He has a good, deep heart, and I think his mama felt much the same way he did on the bus when she had to go back inside the house and deal with the day.

But welcome home anyway. Glad you are safely back, with lots of sweet memories.

sara b said...

AMEN to that...cousins ARE WAY better than school! Glad to see you had the best time with your sis and her babies. I know those post vacay blues all too well...but it is worth it right? Beautiful pictures by the way.

michelle said...

Cousins ARE way better than school. And coming off a vacation is enough to make you need a vacation. Wah.

Erin said...

Jordan, I love your blog and I wanted you to know this post spoke to me at a time that I too needed "To feel understood and to understand". You gave voice to what I needed but couldn't myself explain.
Thank you!