Friday, December 19, 2008

Cabbage Roasting On An Open Fire


Adaptability. We went to the farmer's market looking for Chestnuts. There were no chestnuts. "Sold out". Plenty of pecans. But, you can't roast pecans by an open fire. There were also giant beautiful Magnolia-leaf wreaths, pots brimming with gourmet baby greens, lots of peanuts, apples and collard greens. But, no chestnuts.
We have company coming Sunday. Lovely company. The pillows are fluffed--but that's about it. I'm making a list today. But. First.... Avery has RSV so we're watching her closely. Seth was giddily sent off to school with dreams of 17 days (yes we counted) of no spelling or math or lunch lines. Lucy is spending the morning setting up her wares for sale on the stairs (watch your step). On, and Hazel (do I really have four kids?) is down for a morning nap because, well, we were tired of her tears. My list must adapt to the antics of this quartet.
Speaking of lists, here's one I've compiled of eight "disturbing things" I've encountered:
1. The banning of Peanut Butter sandwiches (and all other things "peanut") from Seth's class. Apparently there is a new student who has violent reactions to the substance if she even comes within two feet of the stuff. I have much to say on this, but will, alas, refrain.
2. RJ, the other boy at the bus stop, who is nearly 9 years old, has never touched a slug until a few days ago when we discovered one together on the curb and entertained ourselves by tapping its eyes until the bus came.
3. The super grumpy Dad with his two girls in line to visit Santa at the mall.
4. The stark lack of Christmas lights on our street
5. The big black rectangle that appeared on the bottom half of our TV screen. It will go away for a brief moment when you push any button on the remote. Craig's fingers got sore trying to catch an episode of 30-rock. Good thing we aren't big TV watchers. I guess it's the prelude to the February 17th death of old analog televisions. It will soon go the way of the garage.
6. The movies that Netflix has been sending lately.
7. The closest Anthropologie store in NC is 2 1/2 hours drive to Charlotte.
8. When Lucy exclaimed the other day, "I need a boyfriend!!!". Even though she has no inkling what the word entails, it was disturbing, nonetheless.
So, we're adapting to plain bread and butter sandwiches and the downfall of entertainment media at our house. We're reintroducing card-playing nights of the early years of our marriage. And, just this morning, my Floridian sister and I "window shopped" online, over the phone. It was thoroughly enjoyable. (If you're looking for a gift for me for Christmas because you've racked your brain and can't seem to find something for the *girl who has everything*, well try this, or this in sky, or this, or even this little number for summer time soakin').
On a positive note, though there were no chestnuts, we came home from the market with a bag full of turnips, radishes, two flavors of goat cheese, and some red hots--oh, and a lovely head of green cabbage--now sitting in my sink, waiting to be stewed, braised, or tossed in a salad. Don't you wish you were one of the MANY visitors we're having this month?

15 comments:

TX Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TX Girl said...

So that was me.

I always wish I was a visitor at your house. I can't wait to be a visitor in THE HOUSE.

I could not live without Anthro. I spent 1 hour browsing yesterday, when I should have been doing 100 other things (a friend had my kids). You truly are a girl after my own heart.

The whole allergy thing is so crazy. Don't they just make him sit at the allergy table? What if your kid will ONLY eat peanut butter sandwiches? Can't there be a happy medium.

I'm sure the man in line for Santa could use some holiday cheer, just like the mean lady I encountered at the post yesterday.

Don't you pick your own movies?

Two words- serial killer.. I'm just sayin.

me, of course! said...

No peanut butter sandwiches? Isn't that the lunch box staple of almost all elementary age kids? That's a tough one! It's funny- December is the only time of year that I actually want nuts in their shells for the sole purpose of cracking them open- it makes you slow down and appreciate the nut so much more after all of that effort. The rest of the year, I just buy them sans shell. Maybe you'll get lucky and find some chestnuts in time for Christmas Eve! And the future fruit'patch' looks glorious and bountiful by the way {think like it's already yours, and it will be so, right?!} I totally have fruit/vegetable plot envy. I really hope it will be yours so we can see lots of lovely pictures of the many ways you'll eat and prepare what you've harvested.

Katy said...

Yes, it was very fun "virtual shopping" with you this morning.

Let's do it again after Christmas.

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

No chestnuts? Well, Christmas goes on, I guess. But no peanut butter sandwiches? Now that will stop the world from turning, don't you think? M

Kurt Knudsen said...

Tell Lucy that grampa will be her boyfriend. How about almond butter sandwiches?

Tasha said...

That blue swim suit would look great on you! GET IT!

amy m said...

love house guests. hope you have a marvelous Christmas with them.

The peanut butter thing is hard. At our school they have a peanut free table in the lunch room. Maybe a kid in is class is extra sensitive?

I'll have to try that shopping online with someone else thing. Sounds enjoyable.

Sarah said...

I've lurked on your blog for some time & I love your perspective on many things ...

You will probably delete, but I'll say it anyway beacuse I find the whole attitude of inconvenience toward the whole food allergy thing a bit disturbing.

seriously, a mild inconvenience for you not being able to give your son peanut butter at school, but a life saving measure for one little girl and her family.

My 3rd child has allergies and, although his are not life threatening, it has opened my eyes to the world of difficulties some parents face when sending a child who is that allergic, out to school.

Imagine as a mother the angst you would feel not knowing if your child would be safe due to a simple thing like a crumb of peanut butter??? A crumb. A whiff. A smear. Left innocently on the table or chair or hand of a friend.

Where we live most childcare centres, kindys and schools have a peanut free policy - it's no big deal, there are plenty of other things my children have learnt to like and eat.

I'm sure if the shoe were on the other foot you'd be grateful to those parents who sympathised and understood your situation. Did their best to help you create a safe environment for your child to learn in and helped to educate their children as to why they had to sacrifice something simple like a peanut butter sandwich.

Gabby said...

I'm a lurker and normally enjoy this blog, but I'm with Sarah on this one that I find the whole attitude of inconvenience toward the food allergy issue a bit disturbing as well.

Peanut allergies can be life-threatening from something as innocent as touching a doorknob after someone who has eaten peanut butter. There are plenty of other food options to send with your child that will not threaten the well-being of others (almond butter and cashew butter among them).

Thankfully, we have no allergies in our family, but my son's preschool has been peanut-free since long before he started there, and I am all in favor of protecting those children with allergies from harm.

Perhaps Dr. Gooch can provide some insight about this? I'm sure he has seen his share of allergic reactions in the ER, to peanuts, latex, etc.

I treat all of the children I know with the same care, concern and protection that I do my own, and feel that our friends and our son's classmates' parents do the same. It surprises me that other parents (and I hate to say this, but other parents I would have guessed would know better) are disturbed by the banning of something that causes "violent reactions" to another child.

What does that teach our children about concern for the well-being of others?

merathon said...

my 3 year old is also in a nut-free classroom. she cannot bring ANY tree nuts-- this includes peanuts, almonds, and cashews-- so the almond butter and cashew butter were not an option for us either. since we are vegetarian, peanut butter is definitely one of our staples. i went to trader joes and my options were sunflower seed butter and soy nut butter. i had heard that soy nut butter was not that tasty, so opted for the sun-butter. i tried it and thought it tasted fabulous (and actually prefer it to PB now) but my 3 year old did NOT like it. i don't believe in letting your child just try something once and then when they don't like it, to never offer it again, so i packed it in her lunch a couple times. finally, her teachers told me to no longer send the sun-butter sandwiches. apparently every time i would send them, she would tell her teachers, "i did NOT ask my mom for sun butter!" and then refuse to eat it! i was surprised when her teachers then told me that they'd just make sure that she sat at a different table than the child with the allergies so that she could bring the PB again! thank goodness!

if you ever want to come down to charlotte, i'll gladly make a trip to anthro with you. i live just 3 miles from the southpark mall (where it is located) and the entire mall is just fabulous. . .

Ingrid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ingrid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ingrid said...

OK, those two deleted comments were both me. :) I just sent you an email with my thoughts on allergies and felt it more a private comment.