Monday, October 27, 2008

Homemade Soft Pretzels





They're best with a smudge of Dijon. Just don't boil them too long--they'll turn into really-old-man-skin looking piles o' dough. This one survived after a brief boil and then a browning in the oven. A perfect toasty treat for a Fall afternoon.

2 1/4 teaspoons dry active yeast
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup warm water
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
vegetable oil, for baking sheets
3 tablespoons baking soda (for water)
1 tablespoon pretzel salt
1. Mix yeast, salt, sugar, warm water in bowl, whisking until sugar dissolves. let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes
2.mix flour and cayenne, use pastry cutter or fingers, cut butter into flour
3. slowly pour yeast mixture over flour, stirring to combine. use hands, gather dough, turn onto a lightly floured surface, knead until it is no longer sticky, about 5 minutes. cover with plastic, let rise 30 minutes
4. cut dough into 12 pieces, roll each into an 18 inch rope. twist into pretzel form. transfer to oiled baking sheet, let rise 20 min.
5. preheat oven to 475. bring large pot of water to boil and add baking soda. boil pretzels in batches until puffed and slightly shiny (about 1 minute or less per side). transfer to wire rack to drain. return to baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and bake until golden brown (about 15 minutes).

14 comments:

Ingrid said...

Would this recipe still work if you substitute the butter with shortening? I'm sure it would not be as tasty, but I wonder...for my daughter with dairy allergies...

Still hoping you get that house...

Jessica said...

Hubs requested that I make home-made soft pretzels just this weekend...but it never happened. Yours look great--the key is in the baking soda water. I use Alton Brown's recipe, where'd you get yours?

michelle said...

Now that looks like a treat my whole family would enjoy!

Katy said...

Looks delectable!

Sara said...

My mouth is watering! There are few things I love more than a warm soft pretzel. . . and I'm sure your homemade version would take the cake.

Thanks for sharing.

Jordan said...

Ingrid, I'm sure you could sub some shortening. I've even seen the butter flavored sort!

The Original Mangums said...

Thanks for the recipe, I think we would really like to try these! Hope your day is happy. Paula

Melissa said...

Okay, even in my lazy state, those pretzels are tempting me to bake. Yes, I will do it for when we carve the pumpkins. I love getting ideas from my more creative friends!

Amy said...

Those look so fun. I've never tried pretzels before.

Kurt Knudsen said...

I'll swap you some N.C. pretzels for some oven roasted Korean chestnuts! They are both great sidewalk food.

Rebecca said...

Well, yummo! Send some to Korea. I have seen NO prezels on the streets here!

Jessica Womble said...

I have never tried homemade pretzels before. I was thinking of buying one the other day when I was at the mall but I might as well make homemade ones.
I love your blog and all the fun things your family does. Thanks for sharing with us!

amy m said...

so boilings the trick. They look yummy.

Hannah said...

I linked over from Lara and made these yesterday- they were so so SO good. And easy to boot. Thanks!