Monday, October 13, 2008

Called To Serve



As I write this they have started the journey to Korea. They sold their house, our house, so they could go. They gave away most of their belongings and put the rest in storage so they could spend 18 months so they could share with Koreans their most vital beliefs. The Truth. They've been tutored in the language and told to work and be obedient. To, in short, be instruments in the Lord's hands to tell the people about The Plan. The Plan is to sacrifice, to give little bodies to spirits waiting to be tested on this earth. To raise them to be kind, long-suffering, charitable human beings who know how to repent, how to make amends, how to become "perfect". How to take advantage of the Greatest Sacrifice so that one can claim the greatest gift: eternal life with those we love. My parents have lived this Plan and believe in it's vital worth. And, when you believe something like that, you share it. They just happen to have been asked to share it in Korea. We love them for this and everything else that they are. We will miss them.
In eighteen months, Seth will approach the baptizing age. In eighteen months, Lucy will be a Kindergartner. In eighteen months, Hazel will be diaperless and surely chatting our ears off. In eighteen months, baby Avery will be, not walking, but running around, talking, and eating big-kid food. I will be 32. Craig will be nearly 35. We will be a diaperless household. We will be homeowners. We will be pretty much the same.
All the while, we will miss Piggy and Dirt, and all the while they will be changing "leaps and bounds". A mighty change.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

My youngest brother served his mission in Seoul Korea. When he got back it was fun having him take me to Korea town in L.A.

michelle said...

I love these photos, Jordan. And from what I've seen on your blog, I'm pretty sure I love your parents too. It's a sacrifice for grandparents to leave their family, for children and grandchildren to have them far away, and to sell the family home! What a great example.

rebecca said...

Bon voyage to 2 great people!

Ingrid said...

Your parents seem like some really great people and I am not surprised at all since they turned out a daughter like you! What a wonderful time for them and the people of South Korea.

Sara said...

What great photos. . .those of Craig and your pops are the best! So happy for them. What a great example they are setting for you, your siblings, your children and for all of us. Will you be visiting them in Korea? I hope so.

Natalie said...

Ahhh...my heart goes out to you! My heart is also jealous! What a wonderful blessing to have your parents serve. I know you will miss them, but I'm sure they will miss you more!! At least this is a heart-ache for GOOD reasons, not bad reasons.

Yes, I want to know too....will you go visit them?

Kurt Knudsen said...

Hello from Korea! We are loving it, the people, the food, the culture, the missionaries, the graphic design, the sounds, the smells, the everything!
Please come visit. We have a guest bed and bath!

Geo said...

The photos alone are enough to cause me to fall in love with the lot of you. Great post. Good luck to the missionaries.

The Original Mangums said...

We are so happy for your folks! Soon it will be Carl's and my turn. We are looking forward to the day!