Sunday, September 07, 2008

Self-Soothing




Baby Avery reached four months on the 5th. This is a momentous occasion for the whole family. At four months I let my baby babes take the first step toward independence: "self soothing". No more midnight rendezvous for me and her. We moved her pack 'n play from the closet in our room to the guest room. I put her down with her brother and sisters around 6-ish then we have one more "meal" before I turn in for the night.
So, last night she hollered and hollered. I'm not sure how long. Obviously we both fell back asleep because that's how I found her this morning: soundly, sweetly sleeping. While I unraveled her blanket from her warm little body I breathed an apology for abandoning her in the night. She woke and gave me a sideways smile. We're good. And she is learning a life long skill that some adults never learn.
This is bittersweet. I love every second of my time with this little gal. One less midnight nursing tonight means a ride on the school bus tomorrow--so to speak.

6 comments:

aubrey said...

what sweet pictures!

congratulations on the four month mark! i am all for my children learning how to put themselves to sleep. it is a skill that i am SO very grateful for teaching them early on. i think ava slept through the night at 14 weeks and max at 12 weeks. i STILL occasionally get compliments from friends who have my kids over for sleepovers or late date nights who put my kids to bed, saying they are the easiest kids to put to bed.

Becca said...

Oh I can so relate to the work and joys of helping the little ones to self-soothe. Good job and good luck.

Jeni said...

It is SOOOO worth it to teach them to sleep. I don't function well without 8 hours of sleep:)

michelle said...

That is a big milestone indeed! I stopped nursing my babies in the night at that age as well. They were all notoriously bad sleepers and so would always find other reasons to wake up, but that's another story... Hooray for getting more sleep!

Jenny Dahl said...

This must be where I have been going wrong. Mine sleep through the night at a year old and although they are riding the bus self soothing and independence are issues around my house! I'm a sucker for those cries, what can I say.

The Original Mangums said...

Growing up is hard to do, but very rewarding! Good luck, happy slumbers!