Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Johnson and Johnson Style First Day (read: no tears)



What in the world? How did "baby Seth" get to be "Seth in Kindergarten"? Seth could care less how this day came, he's just glad it has. I've never seen him so excited. We met his teacher last night with the whole crew in tow. Since then he hasn't held still. I'm convinced he was running circles in his sleep. He was up roaming the house eager to get the morning rolling. Slurping down his cereal, packing his lunch bag and snack and "nap towel". His Dad gave him and Lucy a blessing.
Seth will be a bus rider. But, today we drove through the effects of Hurricane Faye together then walked under the umbrella together all the way into the arms of Ms. Creech. She said, "Good Morning" to Seth and, "He's beaming" to me. I was beaming, too. It was a relief. I think if I had seen any hint of moisture in my boy's eyes I would have been victim to the "first day of school sobs". Instead we were both all smiles (except that teeny tiny lump that sneaked in while I sat in traffic on my way home---without Seth.)


She's as sweet as can be with her Alyssa-Milano-like looks and southern drawl. Seth's in good hands. I told him that in school, hands are magic, if you ever need anything or have any question, just raise them.
Now, if I can just keep my hands from wringing until 3 0'clock comes.

11 comments:

Katy said...

Congratulations to you! Kids are highly resilient, but parents are the ones to worry about...you've done well, my dear! He WILL come home to you safely (and most likely happy with his new independence!)

michelle said...

What a milestone for Seth, and for you! And a bus rider, too... I'm glad he was beaming and that he has a great teacher.

Michelle said...

A new right of passage for Seth! It really just fades away in the days ahead- and they grow up. Just today as I dropped off Rose I saw a little boy screaming and crying for his mom trying to make it past the doors! Good for Seth! I'm sure his security and confidence comes from what you and Craig have provided for him!

rebecca said...

Seth looks SO pleased that this day has arrived! I am thrilled for him, and you. A big day - have the girls asked when he is coming home?

Ann said...

Congrats! I remember my first day of kindergarten...I was so excited. I'm anxious to hear how he enjoyed it!

The Original Mangums said...

We are proud of our boy! Congratulations to all of you. THe first day can be very hard, I am so glad that you made it easy for him. It was always a hard day for me, even when they were in high school. Love you, Paula

kentucky said...

He looks so sweet. We, too, had our first day of kindergarten recently. I was proud that there were no tears for me either. I couldn't; he was just so excited!

Tasha said...

Oh Jordan, I am going to remember the hands are magic bit. Evie is going 3 days this year and I kind of had a startle when I drove by the elementary on back to school night, next year, this is us! I take it kdg is all day there?

Kurt Knudsen said...

way to go Seth! What a milestone--for the whole family.

Amy said...

Ms. Creech is a very cute Kindergarten teacher. And your Seth is a very cute Kindergarten boy. Such a relief that he took it all in with such an enormous grin.

annalisa said...

I'm impressed you made it home with no more than a lump. It's hard. But it makes it easier to turn them over to good hands. I hope you're loving life in North Carolina.