Friday, August 01, 2008

$30 Worth of Gas Therapy

That sounds terrible. It wasn't really gas therapy, but the $30 spent on gas to get there was cheaper than a therapy session and so much more enjoyable. First of all, to see her kids doing kid things with my kids sort of brings my own childhood full circle.

We were older than our children when we met. We were twelve. We turn a new age together at the beginning of every calendar year. We are thirty now. When we met we played softball together. We made cucumber sandwiches with Lawry's Seasoning Salt at the neighbors. We sat in our friend Rueben's driveway all summer. We took Girabaldi (a small beat up cream colored car--I don't even think it was any particular make or model) digging near her house and I thought I might die at age 16.

Kim's house now is gorgeous and it is filled with earthy colors and warm woodwork, oh, and two gorgeous girls--Jane and Kate. She had never met Lucy (let alone Hazel and Avery) until today. Over three years has passed without seeing each other, our paths never quite crossing in our travels, until today. Today I loaded the children in the car and told them, we are going to see my friend, Kim. We left Craig alone with his sleep (post-night shift) and headed West.



It only took 1 1/2 hours drive through North Carolina's forest to do it! What a dream of a day. Catching up and only skimming the surface. Sharing mothering woes and wins. She gracefully incorporated our circus into her immaculate home. Smearing sunblock on my fair children, feeding them, calmly watching her house dismantled before her eyes while she listened to me spill the aches and joys of this move. Finally, a friend "up the road" to unload my day on.

I hope, soon, she will come unload one of her days on me--though her company, whether at her house or mine, will always mean my own burden lifted. There is something about being with those you have a history with. Those who know from where you come. Like family.

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

I am glad you two finally got together! How would 'a thought you'd end up in NC together?

Becca said...

happy reunions, happy picture.

Ann said...

It's so nice to have friends like that.

Panooch said...

My dream has come true having you only $30.00 of gas away - it was such a great day. I love your children and love you. I can't wait to keep doing it over and over and over.

Jessica said...

Oh Jordan, how wonderful to be so close to Kim! I wish I had my high school BFFs that close! VA is not too far away either! I'm pretty sure Kim's sister is in my stake.

Shannon said...

I know what you man about those who grew up with you. They are family. I saw your Dad today at the farmers market. He was talking with Raquel.

Tasha said...

Old friends are the best, eh? I hope you can have a monthly friend visit!

millie said...

It appears things are transitioning nicely for you. The beach looked like fun, and hanging out with Kim at her house, even better. I'm glad you too were able to be together.

Ingrid said...

Nothing like old friends. Come visit your old friends in FL sometime... :)

Shawna B. said...

Happy day! It's comforting to know she's there, right? Not quite next door, but still there, and you can "unload" and be lifted all at the same time. Here's hoping you have many more such visit with your dear friend.

Emily S. said...

That sounds wonderful! You both look beautiful! I haven't seen Kim for years. Love the Pace girls!