Thursday, July 24, 2008

Picking Blueberries at Navida's Place in Chapel Hill, NC





When we arrived she was sitting on her front porch with Freida (the dog) stringing green beans.

"I grow blueberries, corn, squash, apples, eggplant, whatever I can, really." She led us out to the patch past the barn, past the orchard, past the corn rows, through the forest.

Hazel ate the ones the deer hadn't gotten to. The ones that hang low. Seth and Lucy filled up buckets. Avery had a front row seat on Craig chest. I snapped photos and enjoyed how the novelty captivated my children. Will it one day wear off? I hope never.





The day was warm and quiet and perfect. We left with 2 1/2 pounds (5 dollars worth). We made plans to return. We made plans for a pie. Those berries baked up well this evening:




15 comments:

The Original Mangums said...

We'll be right over! Sure looks good and so much fun in the making! Love the area, just beautiful!

Jill said...

This looks like bliss!

Heidi said...

Yummy! Glad to see you are back and are getting settled. Looks beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

I hope you are never without internet again. I have missed your posts. I am glad you are all moved in safe!

NieNie said...

dreamy!

Rebecca said...

We left too soon! We are missing NC. M

Kurt Knudsen said...

Glad you're finding all the good pickins. We'll be there in 21 months!

Ann said...

What a fun activity for your family! Did you make that pie yourself? Yummmm...

Carol said...

Oh my...that pie looks soooo good!

Congrats on making it to your new home. I missed reading your fun and creative posts.

Shawna B. said...

Hello, dear Jordan! You're so close to Virginia. Oh, I miss it. I'm so glad you are settling in, picking blueberries, enjoying the trees. Just you wait until autumn. Talk about nature's Vegas! Your new home looks great. May it always be a happy place. James Taylor's bridge?! That's it, I'm on my way! I'll be seeing him in concert on August 4th here in SLC, but my dream is to catch him live in NC, where he began. You live in a great place. You belong there.

Give my best to Duke's newest doc, and to all your cute kids.

Tracy said...

Two and a half pounds of blueberries for only $5 (plus the family fun)? That's a great deal! My sister and her husband just moved from North Carolina to Pheonix. We never made it out there to visit them, but I know they loved it and it looks just beautiful. I'm glad you guys are getting settled in.

amy m said...

I hope it never does where off. It's looks like a beautiful way of living. The pie looks delicious.

Sara said...

We just did the exact same thing. . .although I haven't yet posted about it. It was so fun and the kiddos loved it! We too made some pie, blueberry peach. . . mmm! Glad you had a good time!

Jessica said...

I love the berry picking south! Get ready for apples this fall!

michelle said...

Wonderful!