Sunday, July 27, 2008

Peace and Quiet, not Pizza

She's an unwavering calm in our daily household storm.

Peace.

Quiet.

They are rare jewels, treasure, in a wasteland of half-empty sippies, full tubs of Lincoln Logs dumped onto the playroom floor, plastic dress-up shoes on wood hallways, Hazel screams and Lucy sobs. In fact, just tonight, I muttered to myself as I re-robed a naked Hazel, "where is the peace and quiet". She responded, "Awnt pizza!!" Then began to scream when she realized pizza was not included in her bedtime routine. Sigh.

Tonight I swaddled my baby in cotton. She grinned as I whispered "goodnight" and then drifted off. I'm hoping to do the same very soon in my own bed, the fourth night empty. Craig switches back to days tomorrow. Trying to find a rhythm in our new world.

I love my children. But today, I turn to Avery for those gems. Peace. Quiet. A retreat in infant form. She can draw out the smile on hard days.

10 comments:

Tracy said...

Well i hear you on that one - Asher is our calm in the chaos. I think he was born on the same day as Avery...maybe there's something to that day? Anyway, it's fun to hear about your adventures!

Jill said...

Wow, should we be worried that the baby is the one offering the peace and quiet in your household? That's a rare thing.

Tasha said...

I think as moms we take it where we can get it. They are little gems. Pizza for bedtime, eh?

How many shifts a month will Craig work?

Did you get my email?

Kurt Knudsen said...

love that peaceable Avery!

michelle said...

You definitely needed an unwavering calm in your daily household storm! Who knew it would come in the form of a newborn babe? I certainly never had one like that, but perhaps I never needed one quite so much as you, Jordan.

Mark said...

Isn't Craig a calm in the storm? Thanks for all the great pictures, I miss the cicada's and the moisture in the air. Maybe someday Janna and I will end up in North Carolina.

Amy said...

Davyn was my bit of peace...and though I only had one child at the time, it was necessary for calming of some of my wilder multiple personalities. He still calms me, a huge blessing.

I half-feared that you wouldn't pick your blog back up after your move, so I was excited to discover otherwise. I love this window into your new life. Your pictures in all of these posts are gorgeous!

Ann said...

I can't wait to see your peaceful girl!

Shawna B. said...

She's so beautiful, Jordan. I'm glad for this sweet, peaceful soul who brings so much delight.

Talk to you soon. I think about you so often back there in Carolina. Are you enjoying the fireflies at night?

Ingrid said...

You have such a beautiful family, Jordan. I just love that your little Avery is providing the peace in your home. What a gift and what a blessing to also have 3 happy little kids running around providing all the noise, fun, and chaos in the Mangum home. We love chaos! :)