Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Here We Are


Ready!

Set!

Go!


Do you remember our first month in North Carolina?


I shouted and clapped as we drove the rental van from the airport to our "new home". The children stared wondering, I'm sure, what it really means to move.
I've been moved by this place already. A little less tense, a little softer around the edges, now that we've moved to this next step. Our skin has gone from dry to dewy. And the trees! Disco trees that come alive at night with the sounds of cicada and the lights of fireflies: Nature's Vegas.

Seven days we stayed with only a borrowed card table and folding chairs. We would entertain ourselves with things collected out in the yard, under our trees. The tallest trees you've ever seen. The rain! That sudden southeastern storm. Just as the plants begin to wilt a bit the clouds are cued and we get a nice soak. Remember when we ventured out to UNC's stadium for some fireworks. We had no furniture yet, but we wanted fireworks. That was our first big dose of the "reason for the green" out here. We huddled around the edges as we watched lightning, soaked and satisfied to return home with that as our celebration of Independence Day.




Here we are. Lucy has traded bites from scorpions for those of ticks. One, buried deep, discovered behind her ear, already dead and pried loose by Dr. Dad. Two new cars. Three rashes. One hornets nest destroyed. Twenty-five days without Internet. Galoshes. New neighbors. A gold star. No-see-ums. James Taylor's bridge. Lilies and pickles from the farmer's market. Lots and lots of visitors. We LOVE visitors.





"Sometimes we are lucky enough to know that our lives have been changed, to discard the old, embrace the new, and run headlong down an immutable course." --Jacques-Yves Cousteau



Here we are the same us: My One, skilled now in his work helping heal the people in the "City of Medicine"; his "star", stilling falling stumbling trying not to dispute this immutable course, serious Seth, then Lucy beginning to bloom, Hazel finally finding language to join the chorus we've created, and lastly our Avery who has no idea what has just happened!

She'll never remember our first month in North Carolina. But, she will remember North Carolina.

Much much more to come.

21 comments:

The Original Mangums said...

So happy you are settled!!! So happy to see your blog active again, missed you MUCHO! Sure love you six NC Mangums! Mom, Paula, Nana

Crystalyn said...

i was just thinking about you today and wondering how it's all going. glad you're settling in. it looks wonderful.

misadventuresofkellyandkelly said...

So glad to see you back!! Sounds like a great place to be. Best of luck on your new adventures.

Shannon said...

How wonderful.

birdonthelawn said...

oh i am so glad to see you are back....i cannot wait to watch as you chronicle your adventures. best of luck with the unloading, deciding of proper places, and getting things out of boxes.

Jessica said...

Yay! So glad you are back and that you are loving North Carolina. I love the trees and color of the South-East. Just last night as we were driving past a clutch of cheery crepe myrtles I told my mom that I loved living in beautiful Virginia.

Katy said...

Welcome to the east coast. It is so nice to be able to check in on you again! See you soon!

Kurt Knudsen said...

We're missing you and Carolina already!

Michelle said...

How wonderful to see you come back to life through your blog. I wonder if it has taken you as long as it has for me to start and settle a new home. It really is a new ball game shopping for the next step in life- kinda fun and totally shocking and hilarious.

Amy said...

Glad you're back here posting. I was starting to wonder when you'd return. I really love your blog.

Ann said...

I love your words. You sound so positive and optimistic, and you should be! Love you.

The Baker's Goods said...

YIPPEE! Jordan's back! Can't wait to see you and everyone in a couple of weeks!

Ingrid said...

Jordan! I am SO glad you are back. This might just be one of my favorite posts of yours...you always have a way with words.

You've been missed! Welcome to this side of the country!

Jenny Dahl said...

You are off to a great start!

NieNie said...

its so good to hear from you!

Jill said...

I've been wondering how you guys are doing, so I'm delighted to see an update from you. I can't wait to read about your new life and to see your gorgeous, green photos. I was giddy reading about "Nature's Vegas."

Anonymous said...

I love visiting North Carolina we have family all over the east coast and it is just beautiful. My whole life i have wanted to go to Duke University and i just caught on to that is why you are moving there. what fun it is there and yes the mighty ticks are horible i luckly have never had one but my brothers have. Good luck and have so much fun.
PS love the picture of avery in the middle of the open floor

amy m said...

It can only imagine how vastly different it must be coming from AZ. I hear so many fabulous things about NC and am so glad you guys found a beautiful place to raise your family. Can't wait to hear about all the adventures in your part of the world.

Will said...

Welcome to the Southern Part of Heaven Jordan. It is a magical place. You will only continue to fall in love with it.

Though I'm still in Berkeley for a few more days, I'm seeing James Taylor play in the Greek Theater tonight. If he sings "Gone to Carolina in my Mind" tonight, I might just cry a little.

As much as I love the Bay Area, I can't wait to go home to Chapel Hill. See you there soon!

michelle said...

So wonderful, all of it. I love those storms as well. And all the trees. James Taylor's bridge, huh? Reason enough to go there! Hope you're settling in.

Jenny said...

Glad to hear you made the move and are now settling in. Sounds like you are already starting fun adventures. How exciting to meet up with an old friend. I have found myself doing that alot around here. And it really has helped with the transition. Can't wait to hear more NC adventures!