Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Butterflies


It is what keeps me going. That feeling. No, not stress (though that is surely present), not excitement (though you can find it in the air), not nerves (part of the stress), but butterflies. I can't describe it any other way.
It happened before the first day of high school, it happened when I got on the plane to Ireland, it happened on the train to my first area in Russia, it happened the morning I was to marry, it happened when I checked into the hospital to get a week-late Seth here, and it is happening now.
I'm using hand soap to wash the dishes (which are mostly reused plastic cups and spoons), I'm not putting things away any more--like the broom and the laundry, and I've halted all efforts to clean. We ordered pizza in the other night and it tasted so much better than the canned concoctions I've been scraping up from the cupboards.
So as the tummy flutters continue, so will I, packing, taping, securing our life here so we can begin it once again there!

5 comments:

Ann said...

Some of the experiences you named brought butterflies to my own stomach just thinking about the similar experiences I've had. Good luck!

Natalie said...

You'll be just fine! Butterflies are the feeling you get before you embark on adventure and experience triumphant times! Good luck, Nat

Michelle said...

I'm so excited for you! I have yet to live in that part of the country and it looks so wonderful. We almost accepted a job in New Bern but got cold feet. I bet you will make a wonderful life out there- I look forward to future posts about North Carolina.

Jenny Dahl said...

You are going to be there so stinkin soon! My sister and her family live in NC. Such an amazingly beautiful place. Enjoy those butterflies-they seem reserved for special occasions! Good luck

Shawna B. said...

The butterflies are a good sign. You described so well how I am feeling (and what I'm doing with the canned concoctions ... not good). Here's to new adventures, Jordan! I can't wait to hear all about your settling in NC.