Wednesday, June 25, 2008

5 Years Ago Today...



This amazing person made me a mother.



Holy cow, what a ride. I can't quite remember the person I was before he began to grow inside my body. Now he is growing. Growing quickly outside my body in this world. He's learning. Learning quickly. Learning love and pain and intense joy, excitement, distress. Today, for the first time, he on his own accord apologized. With no prompting from me. He said, "I'm sorry." I got on him for mucking up the soap in the shower. He didn't really deserve that.


After having Seth, I've learned the hardest part of motherhood, parenthood in general, is that you see them--these little ones--and you see that they deserve the very very best. So each day, you wake up determined to give them what they deserve and each and every day you fall short. That's hard to take. But, as I learned today, they are so forgiving.
I love you, my first born son. The world is that much more beautiful with your guilelessness, your determination, and your sweet unfiltered love in it. Thank you for your forgiveness. Thank you for who you are.

Shhh, we're holding off the celebrating until we get to "our new house"

11 comments:

Shawna B. said...

I remember!!! He's a good one, Jordan. I've always love your Seth. Does he still like his choo choos? Happy Birthday to your sweet son. I agree - the world is better with him in it!

Jill said...

Wow, you have 4 kids 5 and under! You are Wonder Woman for sure! Happy Birthday to your sweet Seth.

The Original Mangums said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SETH! We sure love you and hope your delayed birthday will be very special. Love you, NANA & PAPA

Rebecca said...

SHHHHH.....Happy birthday Seth! I love you,
Gramma K

Crystalyn said...

you made me cry...i'm falling very, VERY short today. and they do deserve the best.

happy birthday sweet seth.

Ann said...

I love that picture of Seth. Happy birthday!

Melissa said...

I can't believe that was 5 years ago! You can see in his eyes what a sweet boy he is. He must be a special guy to have been give 3 little sisters. Those first children are so amazing. They were willing to come to two rookie parents and to be the example for their syblings. I guess that's why we are so hard on them. Happy Birthday Seth.

Kurt Knudsen said...

love those Seth eyes!

Michelle said...

Only meeting Seth once you can tell how special he is. I agree- the first child goes through so many of your firsts and it bonds you to them in a unique way. I feel as you do about how you start your day and fall short- for me daily, glad to know I'm not the only one. Good luck with these last few days in your old life!

Ingrid said...

Sweet post. I remember his birthday too and I recall right before leaving NOLA what a bright, thoughtful boy your Seth was and sounds like he still is! Happy Birthday, Seth!

biguncletom said...

Very well put. I am quickly learning his parenting thing is no walk in the park. It was so fun to see two little ones from your family. Hopefully we will see the rest in the near future.