Saturday, May 03, 2008

Saturday Details and Slowing Down

Seth and Lucy were given the same assignment: a landscape scene. Can you guess who's is who's? The paintings reflect their personalities well.

I've decided to adopt an air of patience with this fourth child from before the start. Before she even gets here. I have a horrible habit of adopting instead that parenting pitfall of a practice: the perpetual push. "Hurry up!" "Let's go!" "Come ON!" "Please be quick!" "Hustle!" This is the rhetoric of the habit. I'm constantly urging them past the details of life. But, really, embarrassingly, we have no where in particular to be anywhere on any sort of clock. This one snatch of time before life catches up with our pajama mornings and sunshine afternoons whose end only require a scrub in the tub and on the teeth before we slip off to bed, will be gone---so soon.

Seth's details are precise. He sees the world in a particularly quiet and observant way. I should aid his ongoing effort to smooth the details by satisfying every inquiry ("Did Jesus just make the earth and the worker guys made the houses?"), though it may double our walk time from the car to Target's doors. Lucy's details are bit more challenging for my task-oriented mind. It takes a great deal of pause to let her paint the brown spots across the sunshiny sky and fill in the blanks with purple clouds--so to speak.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

I knew right away whose was whose picture. It is really all about how we see things, not what we see. Do you realize how wonderful it is you are having them draw landscapes while you sit there overdue with number four? Good job. Mom

Amy said...

I guessed right!

You have a wonderful attitude about this whole thing, but that is no surprise.

As for me, I think I'd be constantly rubbing my nipples at this point (the only thing that seemed to work for me, my daughter was 6 days overdue.)

Becca said...

I can so relate to a needless rush that I impose on my kids all too often. The pictures are great and I'm excited to hear about the entrance of your new little girl.

Kurt Knudsen said...

your words are music to my ears.
And I am so glad you are encouraging my grandchildren to paint their worlds.

Becca said...

what about claire?

Ingrid said...

I LOVE the name Claire!

michelle said...

Great idea, Jordan. One of my strongest childhood memories is of my mother hurrying me along. I still hate to be rushed to this day. And you're so right about this time going fast -- before you know it you'll be on school schedules and any number of other daily deadlines. Enjoy the unhurried pace!