Thursday, May 08, 2008

Our Strong Little Bird


Avery Lola Mangum

Born May 5, 2008 11:31am

7 pounds 7 ounces, 20 inches long

Big dark eyes, a little dark hair, and a button chin

Perfect


My water broke just as May fifth rolled in to the quiet of our darkened room at home. We took our time. We woke and whispered to Seth, "She's coming." I shuffled around the house gathering necessities for the hospital until we finally drove down at 3 am. The streets were relatively quiet for that hour in that part of Phoenix but their corners were buzzing with activity. We left that behind and settled in a spacious room over looking downtown and the Diamondback's Chase Stadium. As the sun rose on a characteristically clear day my doctor came in "smiling" at my hopes for a natural delivery and my claims that my babies don't waste time once they've decided to join the world. He left with visions of a May 6th birth...

Fifteen minutes later, she decided. And all forces were a go. I waddled and moaned around the room (thankfully untied to the bed) while Craig and my mother (who arrived just in time for labor to begin) breathed me through the contractions for four hours.

Then, the most ridiculous thing happened. Everything in my body and mind and heart and in the whole Universe began to tell me to PUSH!!! And everyone else was saying WAIT! I began yelling, SHE'S COMING NOW! I needed the pain to end and nothing was going to wait for this little girl. I tried to comply until the doctor arrived then not so quietly informed him to GET HER OUT! He quietly complied and at 11:31 on the morning of Cinco de Mayo, Avery Lola was born.
Born. Bright pink and petite. Our littlest one yet. Yet, so strong. So perfect. With breath you could drink and eyes easy to sink into, she is our little bird. "I'll call her Aves", said her Dad this morning. Avery, nobility, you fit here so well. Lola, strong woman, you are beautiful and here and mine.



44 comments:

Kelly said...

She's gorgeous, congratulations!!!

Jessica said...

Ahh, sweet Avery! Congrats. I love baby babes...smell her deeply and snuggle often. What a lucky little gal!

Katy said...

She is stunning! Hooray!

Ingrid said...

Perfect.

Megan said...

Jordan! Congrats!!! She's here! Hooray!!! And she's beautiful and I love her name!

Kelly said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you! Avery is beautiful, and you know I love that name! And paired with Lola -- so cute. And as always, the way you wrote it was just pure poetry. Hooray for the Mangum 6!

Amy said...

Congratulations! And what a lovely name.

Ann said...

Oh Jordan! She's beautiful! She has such a calm spirit...that's the strong impression I get when I look at her. The name is perfect.

Ann said...

P.S. Please send more photos! I want to see this girl from every angle!

Jeni said...

I love that name...can't wait to meet her.

Julia said...

She is beautiful. Congratulations!

rebecca said...

Welcome, Avery, you gorgeous little girl. You are so lucky, so lucky to be a Mangum.
Congrats to Jordan & Craig & Seth & Lucy & Hazel!!!!!

michelle said...

She is beautiful, Jordan!! I love her name, my little niece's name was Lola. Nice, short delivery too. Congratulations!

The Baker's Goods said...

Love the babies breath as well, I'm always smelling Eli's. Too bad we can't maintain that sweet breath through life. Yippee for AVERY and Jordan and Craig for making her possible!

birdonthelawn said...

yippee! i am so excited for you. well done

amy m said...

Oh my jordan she is beautiful. Congratulations on having a healthy baby girl. Hope you are all home enjoying each other.

Love the name you chose for her.

You whispering to Seth that she is coming hurt my heart...so sweet.

Kurt Knudsen said...

7 pounds 7 ounces of pure Heaven. Welcome to
earth Avery!

Shannon said...

Congratulations!! She is perfect, love her dark eyes. Also, I love the name Avery. It suits her.

Good job, Jordan. You are a real champion! Your description of labor and pushing made me smile. Just before my babies have been born, I have thought, exactly as you did, that I just want to get them OUT so that the pain can be over.

Hooray!

NieNie said...

Welcome baby Avery! Lovely name, lovely birth story and you look lovely. Can I call you soon? Can I take your other birds?

Kristin said...

Congratulations Mangums! She is beautiful and looks so alert. Glad everything went well.

Parkinson Family said...

Congratulations! and I love the name! She is precious!!

Amy said...

Congratulations, Jordan! She is gorgeous!

annalisa said...

Hooray! So exciting. She is very cute. I love the picture of the kids peeking at her. Glad she came quickly and that all is well.

Heidi said...

Yay! She is beautiful. She has those Mangum eyes :-)

kentucky said...

We're so happy for you over here! She's beautiful. I'm glad everything went well. You all deserve the happiest of happinesses.

And we'd like to see you again soon. That would be happy.

Elizabeth said...

She is delight some! Congratulations. I am so glad all is well.

S. Schuller said...

She is beautiful. Congratulations! You make birthing sound easy! I'm so happy for you and your brood!

Jill said...

Congratulations!! I'm so excited for your family to another beautiful baby girl as a part of it. Wow. What a great write up.

Jenny Dahl said...

Gorgeous just like her mom! Congrats Mangums!! Love the name you picked-Avery is also the name we've chosen for ours in July.

Shannon said...

Beautiful. Congratulations!

The Original Mangums said...

#30 says Congratulations to our Craig Mangum Family. Avery Lola is such a wonder, a gift, a sweet dearly waited for mericle! Can't wait to meet her! (and see the rest of you at the same time) We are so happy for you all. Nana & Papa

Jenny said...

Congrats!! That is quite a delivery. Hope all is well.

Tracy said...

Congratulations Jordan & Craig! Avery is precious...and such a sweet name. If we had had a girl in New Orleans, her name would have been Annabelle Avery.

Tracy said...

Was this your first natural delivery? Your description of everything telling you to push and everyone telling you to wait is exactly how I remember my last one. "Wait for the doctor!" they all said, and I was thinking, "I could care less if the doctor or a nurse or my husband catches this baby, just so long as he comes out NOW!"

Tasha said...

I've been waiting for this post. I love the name Avery Lola, she is gorgeous and kudos to you for a natural delivery. You are a woman! So glad your mom was there!

Shawna B. said...

So glad she's here! I Hope I get the chance to know her. Many congratulations to all of you. You are right, she IS perfect and she does fit perfectly right there with you. I am absolutely delighted for you.

Robin Kate Hutchinson said...

Congratulations!!! To you for making it through the delivery like a champ and to Baby Avery for being so compliant with the demands of child birth. We love ya'll.

Hannah said...

Beautiful name and what a beautiful girl! Congratulations~

Michelle said...

Congratulations Jordan! She's beautiful! Well done!

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness, what a story, what a beauty!!! Enjoy!!!!

Becca said...

beautiful.

Carol said...

Oh Jordan, I am so happy for you and your little family! She is absolutely beautiful!!!

Natasha said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

Crystalyn said...

wow! i was out of town last week and have been missing out.

congratulations on a beautiful baby girl. did you go natural? love reading your story about it. oh the bliss of a new baby. so happy for you!