Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My Second Child



It's been all about Avery lately on this little blog of mine (with a few "me" rants) but the personalities of our three older children are still in high gear. Regarding Lucy...after spending two weeks with 'Lucy, full throttle', my mother said, upon leaving, "Now, I know what you're talking about". Yes, you cannot understand this girl until you've spent some serious time with her--and, even then, you cannot understand this girl. Also, heard from my mom over the course of the week, "I just can't figure her out." She has that effect on people: flabbergastation (is that a word? it is now.)

Last night I fed the kids Italian meatballs, sugar snap peas, wheat toast, and orange slices...Lucy, however, was having "butterfly". I don't see the resemblance, but who am I to criticize her imagination--it is at least one thing she really has going for her. Love her, love her, because I'm at a loss for an alternative.

**Craig rushed home from a meeting this morning in response to an S.O.S. text I sent--of sorts. We will survive this, right?

12 comments:

Amy said...

I am totally amazed and cannot imagine how you do it. And with such grace too.

It is inspiring.

Jordan said...

Believe you me, there are MANY grace-less moments!

Natalie said...

I have a second child too! And you are absolutely correct, all you can do is "love them, love them." These sweet children need us, and need us to love them. As hard and frustrating as it may be...it's our duty! But my second makes my duty pretty hard sometimes! haha Keep up your great mothering Jordan-Natalie

Rebecca said...

Oh, Lucy, Lucy, Lucy!
M

Charlotte said...

You are in the trenches! Your words brought a rush of memory, even nostalgia as I relfected on my own mothering during those early stages. It won't seem so now, but truly, the time speeds by all too fast. Don't hurry these breathtaking days away, and keep writing about them as that will be therapy for you as well as encouragment for your readers. May God continue to bless you in this your momentous calling. All my Love, Auntie Charlotte

Elizabeth said...

I think your Lucy should meet my Kai. It would be an interesting play date for sure.

Megan said...

It sounds all too familiar.

The Original Mangums said...

I can't wait to have the chance to see her in person, as well as Seth, Hazel & Avery! How fun it will be, just wish it were longer!

misadventuresofkellyandkelly said...

Keeping your whole family in my thoughts and prayers these days. New baby time is hard for me. I can't imagine a fourth with three other little ones (though we hope to be there someday). You will get through this time though. It will get easier. My little one is 6 months next week and I can't believe how fast it's gone. Life will never be back to "normal" again so you just have to make a new normal.

Jeni said...

Calyn and Lucy share the same taste in jammies!

millie said...

I had just read Megan's blog before yours and had to chuckle a little when I saw her comment.

Jill said...

I can't help but think how wonderful it is that you're capturing all of this on your blog. It will be priceless to have theme moments documented for your family in the future. I would love to know how my mom managed with 4 little kids under the age of 5 (for real, how did she do it?). I also think it's great that you can dash off a post to use for venting, sanity-saving purposes and be connected to a community of women cheering you on. You're great!