Saturday, May 31, 2008

If you were at a gas station and could only pick one treat...?

...He would choose a Ding Dong, of course! I knew this and so for his 32nd birthday a few weeks ago, my mom and I made this giant Ding Dong Cake from scratch--signature loops and all. The center is even hollowed out and filled with pure white, smooth, sweet, meringue-like filling. It is glazed in a rich chocolate ganache. This was so fun to surprise Craig with. It tastes even better than the real thing (not hard to do, even if you could call a Ding Dong "real").

He's gone all day today--I mean seriously all day, like until 4am. The only outing on our agenda is a drop-off at Goodwill. Maybe we'll bake another cake! A giant Twinkie, perhaps?

13 comments:

Ann said...

How fun! I would choose either white powdered or crumb donuts...but, sigh...I'm off sugar.

Amy said...

I love ganache...such a sight!

Katy said...

Very clever--I love remakes of classics, like graham crackers (have you ever had home-made?)

Megan Midori said...

I wouldn't mind tasting a giant twinky...i like them frozen.

The cake looks fabulous! Great job!

aubrey said...

that is awesome. nice job!

i always got either the zingers or the haggen daas ice cream bars when we were on road trips.

Jeni said...

A giant ding-dong for the biggest ding-dong I know!

Jill said...

What a fun and thoughtful idea. It looks so good!

Rebecca said...

I had 4 pieces of the GIANT DING DONG in honor of Dr. Craig! It was GOOOOOOD!

Kurt Knudsen said...

Kurt had the 4 pieces, Rebecca only had 3.

S. Schuller said...

My mouth is watering just looking at this beautiful thing! What a creative, fun way to celebrate a birthday! Kudos to you and your mom!

Shawna B. said...

Great idea! Looks scrumptious!

How are you, Jordan? What a crazy time, eh? I have decided that moving is really not my thing.

Wish I had a big old ding dong cake to make things better!

Natalie said...

Twinkies or ding dongs? That's the real question in my family. I have always chosen ding dongs! Wrapped in foil! Great idea, fabulous looking cake! Eat lots for me! Nat

michelle said...

yum! We have a cake in our family that is vaguely reminiscent of a giant Ding Dong. My aunt always jokes about putting the signature curlicues on top, much to my grandmother's chagrin. (I think that's the only thing holding her back!)