Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Dirty Dozen

Besides house bills (rent, etc.) most of our money is spent on food to feed the growing bods of our household. It is important to me what goes into those mouths. I want to give the little ones all the advantage in my power for a healthy life and I need Craig to stick around (with a vibrant useful body) for a long long time. So in order to stay within a reasonable budget, I try to buy organic where it counts. Here are the dirty dozen worth buying the organic version of:


Apples
Cherries
Grapes, imported (Chili)
Nectarines
Peaches
Pears
Raspberries
Strawberries

Bell peppers
Celery
Potatoes
Spinach
Milk
Beef
Poultry




Those last three are "recommended", we buy organic milk (hello Costco!) but rarely eat Beef or Poultry (the men in this family are chicken haters) so I don't worry about that. If I do purchase meat or fish, I am very particular about it's origins.


That being said, we had cereal and string cheese for dinner tonight.







Remember, I'm super duper poppin' pregnant--thus ALL is forgiven!

13 comments:

Lexi, Troy and Peyton said...

Oh my goodness! Thank you for posting this! Jeni and I were talking about this the other day but she couldn't remember what all the items on the list were. This is good to know. Thanks Jordan!

P.S- You look great!

Katy said...

Well, aren't you lookin' snazzy!

I don't ever remember the particulars of what to buy organic, I just think, If I'm eating the entire thing, skin and all, it should be organic.

Krista said...

you look superbly beautiful!

and organic milk at costco? lucky!

rebecca said...

You are adorable!

Why don't we drink organic milk? why? I have no idea. I guess we'll start tomorrow.

Amy said...

You wear it well, pregnancy that is. I would have loved (!) to look as radiant during my pregnancy as you do.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Puffy (Water Retention) Babymaker

Heidi said...

Beautiful!

Tasha said...

You look great!

I am really into buying local lately. Local tends to be organic, so that is 2 birds, ya know. We eat red meat, a london broil or a roast about once a month, or steak a couple times a month, but never ever ground beef. I am trying to find a way to find local meat because I don't want meat from a industrial feed lot and big slaughter house, is that what you mean when you say its origins?

I watched a documentary called "The future of food" and it was pretty dang dry, but I really thought organic was just about pesticides, I had no idea about genitically engineered seeds or that monsanto owns the patents on round up and on all the seeds "round up ready " seeds, so the seeds can't be killed by the poison. It made me want to just grow my own food, and what I can't, buy from someone it town. I blame that doc and the "Fast Food Nation" book for the state of my current neurosis and obsession with recycling, not wasting, where my food comes from, not buying bottled water, actually loosing sleep if I do, wanting to compost... I have totally changed my views...

Tasha said...

Oh yeah, you look great!

Jessica said...

I don't think a pregnant lady has ever looked better!

Elizabeth said...

You look so cute!
I agree with this, I wish it was easier to get all those things organic. It is so limiting to have to choose from the few organic items.

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amy m said...

You look amazing. I can't believe it may be any day now. I'm so excited for you.

Carol said...

Oh Jordan, this made me absolutely laugh out loud! BTW, you look smokin' hot! I LOVE that dress!