Friday, March 21, 2008

Pregnancy Notes: Week 34






"Holy cow! Your pregnancy has gone by so fast for me!"




That's what people keep telling me when they hear how far along I am. It's funny that they would say that. Lucy has started to pretend to be pregnant, zipping her baby doll up into her pajamas and then demanding, "Put your hand right here. Did you feel that?" It is definitely endearing. This little act has not been one to which Seth has succumbed. It just shows that that burning maternal instinct is lit from the start.


If I could be anywhere in the world right now, if I could choose, blink my eyes, and be there it would be by the hospital bedside of my older sister now laboring to bring forth her firstborn son. I would hold her hand and tell her these things,

"You are the strongest woman on the earth."


"You are doing the most amazing job."


"He's so close and can't wait to meet his mother."


"I love you, you can do it."


"Breathe."


"Relax."


"Breathe."


These are the things I want someone to say to me in six weeks. There is nothing worse, as you labor hour upon hour, than being ignored. Strapped down with monitors, and IVs, while all focus is in the rear--your rear. All three births, I've had these same thoughts: "I want someone spilling encouragement into my ears constantly." I'm so demanding.




That's it. Just thinking of my sister, wishing I were there--oh, and scrambling to make Easter count this year.




11 comments:

Tasha said...

I am totally tearing up thinking of you sitting by your sister encouraging her and I don't even know her. You aren't demanding, that is what we all need. All the focus on below the curtain, and we really need someone whispering in our ear.

Lucy has the right idea, how much easier it would be to have a zipper, out and clean and rezipped, no sag or slack or swelling, healing.

Good luck to your sweet sister. Any sister of yours just has to be an amazing lady.

nie nie said...

i am happy to pretend to be your sister for your new baby. i know exactly how you feel.

Ingrid said...

Very clever - "scrambling" to make Easter count this year. You really have a gift with words!

Which of the 4 sisters is laboring? All you Knudsen girls should be in Guinness!

Ingrid said...

Oh, and those photos of Lucy are VERY endearing. It really is amazing how that maternal instinct is lit from the get-go.

Kurt Knudsen said...

Jordan, your mom was by Ashley's side, telling her all those things and more! And the cutest boy with the loudest voice I've ever heard from a tiny body was the result!
Lucy is a riot!

Kurt Knudsen said...

I keep thinking about your comment yesterday that Ashley now has her own birthing story. Woman are amazing--that was my thought as I watched Ashley yesterday. Woman are amazing! M

Kurt Knudsen said...

And Lucy is amazing. I hope I'm here for her birthing story.

Katy said...

If you do a water birth, nobody can focus on "the below" like they normally would! Wish I could be there!

Amy said...

Those things you would say to your sister made me all teary. So great.

And your daughter's photos... incredibly cute.

AzĂșcar said...

Those Lucy pictures just give me a giggle, what a ham.

michelle said...

Every laboring woman needs to hear those words of encouragement whispered in her ear! I had a doula for my one natural birth, and it was pretty darn close - definitely my best birth. I'm sorry, but men just don't know what to do during childbirth (at least I haven't met one who does), you need a sympathetic woman by your side.

I love that Lucy is having a pretend pregnancy!