Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My Girl


Today was one of those days. So I surrendered back to the sheets after putting Hazel down for an early nap and sending the others off for quiet time. I managed, even, a little sleep, I think. Then, off to IKEA. I fed all three lunch for 2.50. Afterward, as we were de-shoeing and signing in for playtime at Smalland, I noticed one of the worker girls waving to Lucy and Seth. Then she turned to the worker boy filling out our name tags and wristbands, "Did you see who's here?" He smiled, chuckled a little and replied, "Yeah, it's Lucy." Worker girl then added, "I'm so excited."


What in the world?! My daughter, the celebrity at IKEA play land. I asked, "Does Lucy entertain you when she comes?" He laughed out an affirmative answer--the sort of laugh that also says, 'you have no idea.' I was amused. Lucy really is one of a kind. After some wandering, new hot pads, and some bath accessories, I arrived to fetch the rest of my brood at 3:15 (exactly the whole 1 1/2 hours later). Lucy was telling the same worker boy, "My mom magicked me when I was born--like this" (and she began twirling her best "ballaringla" twirl.)


Watching her you'd assume the world is completely passing by her oblivious giddiness. You'd be wrong. She listens closely, but nothing gets her down. She likes answers and accepts any sort you give with wonderment. Tonight, after prayers, she was "it" for our nightly duck-duck-goose game. I sighed as deep a sigh as I could manage with my belly in my ribs sitting cross-legged on the floor. Lucy skipped around Seth and I patting "DUCK!" on our heads. When she dubbed me "GOOSE!" (after several days of single parenting--please keep in mind) I moaned with a smile and pleaded, "why don't you pick Seth". She quickly replied, "Why, because you're preg-a-nit?" It was so sweet and understanding and that she had observed this and took note (obviously from previous whining on my part) was astounding to me. I'm humbled to be her mother. She has got miles and miles on me as far as personality and depth.

6 comments:

Katy said...

I love that you have a nightly game of duck-duck-goose. Good job on being the mother to such a colorful girl!

Kurt Knudsen said...

I love that LUCY! So glad she is sensitive to your preg-a-nit condition.

rebecca said...

I can't believe she is already famous! A touching narrative. You really see her.

Rebecca said...

Lucy glows. Don't you love being around people that are optimistic? Even if they are only three? M

Ann said...

Do you call her "Lucy Goosey" when you play? She is adorable.

michelle said...

Lucy, an IKEA celebrity! It was only a matter of time.