Thursday, February 21, 2008

Creamy

I made my own butter. I found out how here. It really is everything fresh butter should be. So sweet, so smooth, so creamy. I shook the mason jar of near-spoiled organic heavy cream while attempting to watch Elizabeth: The Golden Age (for about the 3rd time--I keep dozing off and missing the ending.) Craig's in Louisiana (we're attempting a long-distance relationship), so what a better time to try making my own butter. So easy, so good and pure. Today is catch-up-on-household-duties-and-bake-some bread-for-the-butter day. A little more commentary on the NY trip to come. Happy shakin'!



.

12 comments:

ASHONTHELAWN said...

jordan! how cool! thanks for the link ... maybe you should share your bread recipe too!

Jeni said...

How long do you let the cream sit out on the counter? The instructions said, "for a while." Days? Hours? HOW LONG? I need exact directions.

ASHONTHELAWN said...

i heard if you drop a marble in the shaking it speeds to process...

Julia said...

I am impressed that you actually shook it in a jar-- I usually cheat and make it in the Kitchen-Aid. We did this with the primary kids on pioneer day. We made honey butter too-- they loved it!

Tasha said...

We did this in elementary school! I rememeber passing the mason jar around the circle and the teacher reading to us while we shook and shook. It was such a delight to eat it on our fresh bread!

Tasha said...

We did this in elementary school! I rememeber passing the mason jar around the circle and the teacher reading to us while we shook and shook. It was such a delight to eat it on our fresh bread!

Natasha said...

Jordan, I like to enlist my kids' help when making butter - baby food jars are the perfect size for tiny hands.

Crystalyn said...

looks delicious! do you have a good bread recipe too?

Allison said...

I heard you sweet husband was heading our way. Tell hime to give us a call. I can't wait to "shake" it up.

Jordan said...

Jeni, just until it is room temperature. I like my butter sweet and the longer you let it sit out or "spoil" the less sweet it turns out.

Shawna B. said...

My mouth is watering. Looks mighty tasty, that butter!

Katy said...

Homemade butter? I'm just barely catching up on post NYC laundry, let alone making butter and bread!