Friday, January 04, 2008

Pregnancy Notes (disguised as a recipe): Week 23


red wheat, freshly ground this morning

If you have enough foresight to think about the morning's breakfast the night before*--which I do, especially when I'm pregnant--then you should make these. Not just because they are pure goodness in a few bites, but they are seriously warm and undeniably moist and tender--just what winter mornings call for. Use any dried fruit or none at all. Slather them with butter and marionberry jam, or nothing at all. They'll let you have them your way.

I served them to my parents this morning and added a cinnamon sugar coating before baking. The kids got shiny sparkly colored sprinkles on theirs. Everyone is a winner when you plan ahead--you can quote me on that.

Overnight Oatmeal Muffins
1 cup regular oats
2 cups buttermilk
1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup dried blueberries (I most often use cranberries and always more than 2/3 cup)
*Combine oats and buttermilk in a medium bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Add flour through fruit. Stir well to combine. Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each of 24 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched slightly in center. Remove from pans immediately, place on a wire rack.
Use the second trimester's burst of energy to enjoy cooking because it will be about a year after that before you think of picking it up regularly again. Enjoy!

12 comments:

Ann said...

Sounds yummy! Question: what is the color for this year's Christmas decor?

Amy said...

I'm not an a.m. gal and my boys are huge breakfast eaters, so I LOVE anything that can be done the night before. Oh, and I'm crazy about oatmeal.

Jordan said...

Ann: silver and white!!

Elizabeth said...

Those sound great. I love the overnight part. I will be trying these when I get home. I am going a little crazy because the nesting instinct has hit for me. But I am not at home and can do nothing about it.

michelle said...

I love the idea of making them the night before! And I love oatmeal, so I will definitely try these, Jordan. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

I think I'll have to try this out- it sounds too good!

Sara said...

These sound so good! Thanks for sharing. How are you my friend! I just got back in town and will try to call or send an email soon! I just got caught up on your blog. . .love it all as usual! Looks like your holidays were LOVELY!

amy m said...

This sounds like something my family would love. Planning ahead though for meals is hard for me, but I will make an effort to try them this week. Thanks for sharing.

The Baker's Goods said...

I've made these before! Did you get the recipe out of King Arthur Cook book? They are super tender!

Kelly said...

These sound great. I loved the little note to yourself in the directions.

merathon said...

i tried these out for sunday morning breakfast (forgot it was fast sunday!) and they were SOOOOOO good! thank you for the recipe-- my husband wants them for breakfast EVERY sunday now!

merathon said...

P.S. and i LOVE that there's just 2 T. of oil in them! yummy AND healthy is my kind of recipe. any more you've got, feel free to post them!