Friday, January 25, 2008

Happy Birthday, Jane



Here is my mom painting a carved wooden head with woolen hair.


She is good at what she does:



Her artwork and her family are evidence of that.

But beyond that she is a beautiful person. Sometimes I wonder what will be left of me, or rather, what I will have left to give after my own little family is raised, after I've swept the floor a billion times, and my creations over the years have gathered dust or been broken by Lucy (: For some reason it seems as though that will be true evidence of character: the remains of me.

My mother has raised her family, she has swept her floors (and those of her post-partum daughters) many times over a billion, and I think Lucy even broke a beaded necklace she made, yet she stands tall, respected by ALL who know her. The many years of rapid fire child birth, six kids clothed, fed, schooled and shown the way, in and out of cities and careers, and hours and hours of artwork from her hands, has not hardened but softened who she is. And so now she can patiently sit and lend an understanding ear to the woes of her children without pushing or prodding or needing anything in return. It is a gift she has and it was earned.

She is easy to be with and there is never a time I don't long to be with her. She sees in my children the magic and strength that daily toil fades for my own eyes. She reminds me of the gem I've found in the spouse I chose. She always knows when things are out of sorts. She always knows.

I watch her now enjoying her world. Enjoying the children and their children. On the cusp of new adventures. Fulfilling long-time dreams with her true love. It makes me happy and encourages my forward forging.

I love you mom, happy birthday today.

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yes, tears today for your words. You make motherhood worth it. You are my fruit! Thank you, M

S. Schuller said...

What a beautiful tribute to mothers and your Mother, especially. She has such nice hair too. What a great family picture. I can tell the apples don't fall far from the tree...

Anth said...

It sounds like you have a wonderful mother. You are very blessed!

Jenny Dahl said...

She's not my mom but hear I am shedding a tear for such a beautiful tribute. No doubt she is proud of the work she has done!

Natasha said...

What a sweet tribute and I love the big family photo!

Emily said...

We just moved to Provo and drove through neighborhoods today looking at houses. Your parents' house oozes style and class and I wish it was in our budget to buy it! Carina/Azucar just told me it was your childhood home. So beautiful!

Kelly said...

What a lovely tribute to your mom! I can't imagine reading anything nicer about yourself.

michelle said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother! I love the way you said that her life experience has not hardened but softened who she is. That's a great aspiration for all of us!