Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Freesia Was Glowing This Morning








And so am I, apparently. I am pregnant, you know. But besides that I stood last night holding a swollen-gummed Hazel in distress. We swayed to the sounds of seagulls and sea on her sound machine. The baby outside resting on my growing belly hummed a muted version of her daily song, "Hah...phee...hah phee...." while the baby inside moved knobbily below. I felt suddenly full of life at 3 o'clock in the morning. So when I pulled the shade and saw the freesia glowing, it was an echo of my gratitude from the previous night's midnight oil burned. One-hundred days left to glow.

11 comments:

Ann said...

Beautiful.

hannah said...

lovely freesias. flowers cheer me too.

S. Schuller said...

I can almost smell the freesia. So pretty! I loved your list for 2008. You are a deep thinker!

jaredandmatisse said...

What a sensational story! You have a terrific talent for story telling and you are an impressive writer, (and I am reading Hemmingway right now) To be so full of life and able to create feelings in others through the written word is quite a combination. Writing opens new doors.
Aloha,
Matisse
P.S. You make pregnancy appealing.

Tasha said...

Only the snow glows here as it is 10 below zero right now...

You are always full of life Jordan, pregnant or no and you make everyone around you want to glow!

I hope the teething pain abates and midnight oil is only burned by choice.

Kurt Knudsen said...

You glow and smell good too.
Hope Hazel's gums stop glowing.

Crystalyn said...

midnight moments...i find them either most beautiful or most exasperating. i always love your take on life and what you see. it's beautiful.

Ingrid said...

Congratulations on being in the double digits now! 99 more days...

Rebecca said...

Such a blessing to have four glowing daughters. Will it be too bright in NYC?

michelle said...

So beautiful. You DO make pregnancy appealing! What an image, the baby on the outside and the baby on the inside...

TX Girl said...

I love that "one-hundred days left to glow". I wish I would have taken that approach to pregnancy vs the whining approach that usually crept into my world. Beautiful. Glow away friend.