Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Family Dinner



This has been the longest month ever and there are still two days left. I only really see my Craig every couple of days. Today, this morning, I saw him in bed. We agreed our bed is the most underused piece of furniture in our house. We discussed the children briefly. I do most of the talking because he just wants to, "Relax for once." I can totally understand that. He dreamed that the ambulance started bringing patients to our house. And people, lots of people, were dying. But, as he related, "not just dying, but like in Indiana Jones when their faces melt off." I commiserated because the night before, when it was only me sharing the bed with no one, I also had a fitful sleep. Except people weren't dying, I was just yelling at everyone, I think I even hit someone in the head with a camera. I'm just telling you this because I think I'm going to invest in a Therapist. Like, I'm going to hire a therapist to give me therapy. I told Craig this last night while we were looking at real estate in Seattle. His reply, "Just talk to me, I'm a doctor." That was funny. So, nearly every morning Lucy bounces into the room asking for a banana. When I groan (most likely due to a fitful night's sleep), she bounces out and returns with the whole bunch of bananas. I pick one off and peel it for her and send her back with the bunch. She is satisfied and it buys me a few more moments in our poor neglected bed. Until she's thirsty. Actually, Lucy has an insatiable appetite for OJ. It is all she drinks really. So we get the calcium fortified OJ. Last night I set the table for all of us. Craig was home so we were going to eat together. Seth saw the arrangement and exclaimed, "Is this a family dinner!!!" I thought, we need to do this more often. Then maybe I wouldn't need therapy. Or maybe not.

17-bean and barley soup with fruit salad and cream, bread and butter, and sparkling berry lemonade

13 comments:

Jeni said...

Residency NEEDS to be OVER! I guess Aaron and Craig chatted last night and Craig said, "I should've been a dentist."

Ingrid said...

Just 5 more months, Jordan! You can do it!!!!

I'm curious about Seattle...

Katy said...

Were there really 17 kinds of beans in your soup?

I think every mother feels like she should talk to a therapist--even if it's just to have an adult conversation. At breakfast Pearl prayed that her poo-poo would come out easily. It seemed a normal thing to pray for...until I realized it wasn't.

I will the be lone occupant of our bed next week as Ryan goes to the other side of the country. I'm not looking forward to that.

Rebecca said...

Yes, we all need therapy, can I join you?
M

Tasha said...

Best money I ever spent! Seriously!

Just wait, family dinner will return. It really will. Evie and I have the same conversation about chocolate milk every morning. I say "ok Evie, just 15 more minutes" and she says "You say that ALL the mornings mom".

Love you J.

The Original Mangums said...

Hang in there Jordan, the worst is over and the end is in sight! The therapist idea sounds great to me, I think that several times a week. Sure love you, and remember, "this too shall pass"
Love you, Paula

Elizabeth said...

My daughter asked for a real dinner last night.

Kurt Knudsen said...

That Seth is so observant. But of course, so is his mother.

Michelle said...

I agree with the above statement about therapy being the best money ever spent! Maybe I'm biased because my father was a therapist. And I don't know that dentistry is much better you have your trade offs- the debt you go into not only to finish school but then to buy into a practice is mind boggling. We are so fortunate despite everything. It is almost over! How exciting! Hang in there!

c jane said...

"This has been the longest month ever and there are still two days left."

Ain't that the truth!



(Thanks for visiting my blog. I feel so honored!)

c jane said...

And . . . the image of Lucy with the bunch of bananas and you groaning was very therapeutic for me. Laughter being the best medicine and all . . .

Amy said...

I can't say how much I loved this post. All too similar to the running commentary in my own head.

Are you guys truly headed to Seattle?

Crystalyn said...

i can so relate your every single word of this post (although my husband is not in residency, things have been heavy at the office). i called him last week and wondered out loud if i need someone to talk to. just the thought of having someone outside of my "clan" to lay it all out for brought a rush of feelings and nearly tears to the surface.

your rituals sound wonderful. i believe in them and think they are so soothing.