It seems December is already passing me by and I've fouled up my attempt at the December project. A post a day this month. I will start now and make amends. To my credit, my regular "posting time" slot was taking up by a super sexy date with my Super Sexy watching this , which we really loved, and eating the BEST HANDCUT FRENCH FRIES in the universe here, not to mention the best hot fudge sundae with candied pecans in the universe. So last night...after what Craig has termed "the post date high" there was of course no time for anything virtual (heaven knows my day job does not relent for this sort of activity).
We're home all month. No traveling. No long hours in the car. No hotels. No flights. No overstuffed luggage and no port-a-cribs. We will notice a little ache and miss the extensions of "us": our faraway families, but we will also notice a certain contentment to be our own entity, doing our own thing, having a chance to forge our own traditions:
- A daily chocolate advent calendar (note: get two next time),
- our northern trek to pluck a tree (our gift from mother earth),
- trim that tree, sip hot chocolate with marshmallows that night and sleep beneath her boughs(note: this won't work very well for another 5 years or so)
- Drive around oohing and aahing at the neighborhood light displays and still talking about doing one at our house someday (:
- A ride on the Polar Express to see the man himself at the North Pole
- Christmas Eve dinner: roast pork with sauerkraut the star
- Christmas Crackers (the kind with a surprise inside) that night and one gift unwrapped
- A small program where everyone may perform
- A reading of three things: the birth of Christ, The Gift of the Magi, and My Christmas Letter
- Santa's stop on 22ND Place
- Christmas morning will greet us with Danish Pastry (my first attempt this year, Dad) and then, of course the gifts and stuffed homemade stockings (note: make Lucy's and Hazel's)
- This year a whole week to have Dad all to ourselves will be the crowd-pleaser and the best gift
That said, if you need a place to be the year, and you like pork...and sauerkraut for that matter, please come, we love love love company, especially this time of year.