Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Tree



This year (our second annual Christmas-Tree Hunt and Cut) in the National Forests of Northern Arizona, we dragged along with us two other families both good friends and good sports. We arrived in Payson for a pit stop lunch and commented on the unusual sandal-like weather. We shed our jackets and continued the drive, surprised to find snow. Much to the kids' delight (11 of them).



We trekked and trekked. There were tears, tumbles, and also awe of the space and silence in the world around that we shared and relished that day away from our crowded lives. We also shared hot cocoa and cupcakes--the perfect combo as it turns out.

In the tree that we found, dragged, cut, and tied to the DC, I hope remained a little of that "space and silence"--that a taste of that place on the rim overlooking a piece of heaven will seep out of its pine into our lives. It's a perfect tree from a perfect day.


8 comments:

rebecca said...

A tree with good roots.
What a marvelous tradition - I am so glad you found snow and friends and peace and hot chocolate! Gorgeous pictures!

Jeni said...

The color combo looks great! I actually had made you an ornament to compliment your scheme, but forgot to bring it to Utah...my road is paved with "good intentions." Oh well. I MIGHT get it into the mail (don't count on it...if you DO receive it, consider yourself lucky).

Shawna B. said...

Yes, perfect. Definitley worth the trek!

Your turquoise and red color combination is so charming! Great choice, Jordan. And those frosting cookies simply could not look any better.

Happy Holidays to our Arizona Mangums!

michelle said...

I love your tradition, and hot cocoa and cupcakes does sound like a terrific combination. Here's hoping that tree brought a little peace and quiet along...

Michelle said...

Your tree looks wonderful! I'm going to try to post a tutorial on those ornaments today.

ASHONTHELAWN said...

looks smashing! well done indeed!

Elizabeth said...

I can't decide which I looks better. This years tree or lasts. I love your color themes.

Megan Midori said...

I love your tree! I love how thin it is and how the branches kind of droop. Fabulous!! Looks like you guys are ready to roll, too.