Sunday, December 30, 2007

Sunburns and Cavities and What Bill Says


I remember my mom telling how Ashley (the oldest in our family) was just little and got her first sunburn. My mother tells how awful she felt that she had let this happen to her baby. Well, we're well past sunburns and onto cavities!!! I feel like my mother felt, but worse. We discovered a hole in between Seth's molars. It is really weighing on me. Craig showed the damaged tooth to our neighbor, Bill, the dentist whose business card reads "Providing Healthy Smiles for infants, children & teenagers"

Bill says the cavity is "a flossing issue". And Bill says it needs to be taken care of. Bill says Seth will have this tooth until he's eleven or so! How could I have let this happen to my son? We brush teeth, mind you. But who flosses their four-year-old? Do you? Well, you can bet we're starting, tomorrow. We're also making an appointment with Bill. Poor Seth, in the dentist's chair for a filling at age four. Life is cruel.

5 comments:

rebecca said...

It happens, despite the best parental intentions. I have never had a cavity, though I went to bed with a warm bottle of Tang (remember Tang?) every night when I was younger, yet my brother has a mouth filled with fillings. Same parents, different teeth. Let me know how the flossing goes. (We don't floss our kids! uh-oh!)

Heidi said...

No flossing here either! I guess we'll start thinking about that too!

By the way, February will be nights all month for John too... You won't be alone :)

Michelle said...

How frustrating! We almost never floss Roses teeth. Some kids teeth grown in closer than others and Rose's front teeth are like that so every once in a while we have to get in there. I agree with above comment everyone has different kind of teeth. And really I don't know any kid that has ever lost their baby teeth with out a cavity or two.

Jeni said...

Aaron and I were just discussing this the other day (children and what age to start flossing)! Oh, poor Seth. Don't worry, I won't tell Aaron:)

michelle said...

We don't floss the kids' teeth. And we have one with great teeth, two with not-so-great teeth. I can hardly floss my own teeth, now I have to do theirs, too? Dang it.