Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Soup Week: Day Two

Potato-Leek Soup


This is the simplest of simple soups. My mom made it often when I was at home. I don't even remember ever seeing a recipe. For our little bunch I use one leek. Craig calls this "the squeaky soup" (the leeks squeak a little between your teeth):

3 Tablespoons butter

2 Tablespoons olive oil

1-2 Leeks, dark green parts trimmed off, rinse very well, and slice crosswise

1-2 baking potatoes, peeled, cubed

2-4 cups water (or vegetable/chicken broth for a bit richer soup)--or half water half broth.

salt and pepper

Heat butter and oil over medium heat, add leeks and simmer for 5 minutes, add water or broth and potatoes and simmer until potatoes are tender. Smash several of the potatoes against the side of the pot to thicken the soup a bit then salt and pepper to taste.



Make it a meal and add these rolls to accompany:




The hubs gives a thumbs up!

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I wish I wasn't leaving so I could start making these. I will have to dig them up in January when we get back. Hopefully our cool winds will still be here.
I think I love soup as much as you. We have had soup pretty much every night for two weeks.

Michelle said...

Wow!! It all looks so good and beautiful. I love soups!

Kurt Knudsen said...

YUM YUM YUM!

Rebecca said...

What do the rolls taste like? They sure look yummy! And you know how I love that soup.
M

Melissa said...

Can I come live with you?

Shannon said...

I am a LOVER of soup also. Sadly my boys turn their noses up everytime a soup is placed before them. Roasted butternut and leek of course are a staple. Soups are so versatile. I add a sauteed tart apple to my butternut and grated nutmeg. Really, I wish you were my neighbor so we could swap food.

Amy said...

Why didn't you tell me it was soup week? And send me a shopping list last week! I love soup. And December is a perfect time for it. Keep posting your recipes & I'll come back for them in January (which will hopefully also be perfect time for soup because I really don't think my little family is getting dinner every night this week!).

Katy said...

Always one of my favorites!

Ginna said...

Jordan,
I'm sure you don't remember me, but I went to Provo High. I was in Katy's grade. (My maiden name is Randle, in case that helps) I think we had photo class together sometime.
Anyway, I linked to you through Katy's blog. This soup looked so delicious and sounded so interesting that I had to try it!
So I tried it and it was. I just wanted to thank you for posting it! And your family is absolutely adorable.
I'll be checking back for more yummy dinner ideas, that's for sure!!

Thanks :)
Ginna