Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Soup Week: Day Three

Garlic Stracciatella

Just minutes ago I finished my second bowl. Today, I'll call this the "Day After Soup" since I made it the day after the party. (More on the party later). But, you could make this the day after Christmas, the day after company has left, the day after your last final, or the day after you give birth (if someone is there to make it for you). I snapped a little photo (below) before I partook and thought, "this looks like a little bowl of sunshine." So healthful, so nourishing.

The original recipe calls for spinach, which I didn't have so I used some leftover patty pan squash from the crudites platter at the party. It fit in perfectly. Soup is so forgiving. Stracciatella means "little rag" which describes the shreds of egg in the hot broth. I will type out the recipe (which I halved) for you.

6 cups chicken stock

30 cloves of garlic, root ends trimmed

2 fresh thyme sprigs

3/4 lb spinach, stems removed, cut into strips

1 small carrot, peeled and cut into thin julienne strips

3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

2 eggs

Salt and freshly ground white pepper

In a saucepan, combine the stock, garlic cloves and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until garlic is very soft, about 20 minutes. [At this point in the recipe we had to take a break--Hazel threw up three times, once in the bed, once in the bath and once in the bath towel] Wash hands thoroughly after changing yucky sheets and towel. Discard Thyme (I left pieces in.)

Scoop garlic into food processor with 1/2 cup of broth. Puree until smooth, return to soup. Lean in close and breath deeply. Aaaaah. Add spinach (or other vegetable), carrot, parsley, and Parmesan cheese. Simmer until the spinach is wilted but still bright green and the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Lightly beat the eggs with a fork and slowly pour into the soup, stirring with the fork until threads of cooked egg form. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle, serve, enjoy!!

6 comments:

Natasha said...

Whoa! I love soup but I don't know about 30 CLOVES of garlic;)

rebecca said...

We've already had soup twice this week. Maybe after your "soup week," we will start using recipes, instead of the bottom drawer of our fridge and a blender! Lovely.

ASHONTHELAWN said...

jordan, thank you thank you thank you. check my blog for a tribute to your little bird in a box!

Rebecca said...

You're killin' me!
M

Shannon said...

I will love this one. Similar to eggdrop huh! Isn't it interesting how one the recipes of one culture intertwines with that of anothers.

ASHONTHELAWN said...

i gave you a little shout out on my blog. i can't wait to try this-i've looked at it probably 6 times