Saturday, November 03, 2007

Pregnancy Notes: Week 14 or Turning Lemons into Lemonade



Hazel's petite fete put a hold on this post. No matter, I'm still pregnant (despite my horrible dreams of miscarrying). Happy to be with child (lemon-sized now) though the growth and changing of my body is...perturbing. I furrow my brow at those that profess, "I LOVE being pregnant". I suppose I am selfish in this physical way: giving my whole body up to bring another life into the world. I am willing and it is worthwhile. Yet I'm always relieved, for two-hundred reasons, when the baby comes.


At Costco today a very elderly woman sidled right up to the cart full, at the time, with all three, and exclaimed how beautiful a family. I nodded and thanked. And thought to myself, 'I've made lemonade'. Children are the hardest thing to do. Children are the most magical thing I've done.


Lucy named her baby doll, after much thought and discussion, Sanuary (like the month, but with an S). When I asked her "Lucy, how did you get so cute?" She tilted her head sideways in thought then replied, "I darlinged". Magical answers. Thoughtful.


Seth inquired after the scar at my hairline. I told him when I was your age I fell at church and hit my head on the bench. To this he asked, concerned, "Who drove the car?" What? "Who drove the car home from church?" He was wondering, obviously, how I could drive home with a bloody head--because--I AM the driver of the car in his little world. I was touched at his concern and thoughtfulness.


Hazel says, "Mom." Her first word? I'm not sure, but when they begin to recognize you as "Mom" it is magical and rewarding.


7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

A little lemon baby. One site tells me mine is as long as a carrot now. That image doesn't quite work for a baby though.

michelle said...

You nailed it for me in this post. Children are the most difficult thing. Raising children is magical. Congratulations on turning lemons into lemonade!

Rebecca said...

Just the right sentiments. It is the law of restoration. The time you sacrifice now pays you ten fold when you are older like me!

Amy said...

I'm laughing at Elizabeth's comment because I truly don't know that there is a standard carrot length. Hm... Love the things your littles said. The "who drove you home"... "darlinged"... and, perhaps the best of all "Mom".

Kurt Knudsen said...

Love Seth's face and your's too.

rebecca said...

Wow. I loved this, top to bottom. Lemonade and Sanuaries, just the right spice for you.

TX Girl said...

I love looking at your blog to see what size your baby is. I usually just referred to my kiddos as how big of a parasite was in my belly. I know- very negative, but really.. i LOVE my parasites.