Saturday, November 10, 2007

Pillow Talk

This is my bed this morning, I was sad to leave it.

Maddening. That's what it is.

I've reported already about Lucy's middle of the night pees. Well, there were some details left out of that report. Sometimes she pees at 1, 2, even 3 am. This is fine and understandable. Sometimes she pees at 1, 2, even 3 am in her bed. This is understandable. Sometimes she pees at 1, 2, even 3 am in her bed and then stays up for 1, 2, even 3 hours playing or yelling, or crying really loud. This is not fine and not understandable.
For the past five nights Craig and I have been deprived of sleep between the hours of midnight and 4 am. I read about a study done on cortisol--this little thing helps regulate your hormone levels. It is produced and does its job primarily between the hours of midnight and 4 am while you are sleeping. Is it any wonder I feel I'm losing my mind?
This is not fine. We have taken away the night light, then the hall light (to mask anything she could possibly tinker around with in a shroud of darkness), still, in pitch black she manages to stay up for no apparent reason for hours at a time. I am really tired and ready for drastic measures. Please help if you can, or if you can't, do you have any extra cortisol?

9 comments:

Ann said...

I am sorry! It is no fun not sleeping at night. It has been an adjustment for me having someone else in my bed. I wish I had some advice... have you tried just explaining it to her?

Jordan said...

Yes, we've had long discussions about this. Soothing pleas, firm requests, angry demands...they are like feathers floating on the wind to a two-year-old and she just bats at them in the air as your head spins.

Heidi said...

A friend of mine uses reward stickers. If her daughter doesn't get out of bed until morning, she gets a sticker. She let's her pick something out ahead of time to "earn" so there is something to work towards. Maybe that would help?

Functioning on no sleep for one parent is hard enough - TWO parents must be a nightmare!

Have you tried telling her to go pee in her pull-up or diaper? Or, if she doesn't wear one (which would be remarkable!), see if she would be willing to? I know it sounds like regressing but maybe try the night training in a few months?

Good luck to you! Let us know what ends up working...

Ann said...

Have you tried limited her liquids before going to bed?

Sara said...

I hate to say it but maybe it is time to say goodbye to naps. Mya stopped napping earlier than most kiddos I knew because if she did she either would not fall asleep until soooo late even though she was tucked in bed, or she would wake up sooooo early and be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Although this doesn't help the pee situation at all. You need your sleep mama! Sadly I have no extra cortisol to donate. . I too am lacking due to poor habits of my own and an inability to crawl under my covers at a decent hour.

On a brigher note. . .I CANNOT believe you get to find out the sex next week. CANNOT wait to hear/read about it.

Shannon said...

Wow it's already time to discover what your having? The dilemas of the night time bathroom. All I can say is I was so happy when I would hear Garrett getting up on his own marching to the bathroom and back to bed on his own. Time. I think that is the solution. It's always time huh? figuring out what will work? Best of luck to you sleep deprived Mama.

Jordan said...

Sara, I was hoping that would be a solution to her bedroom clatter...she actually stopped napping about 3 weeks ago. I really don't mind the peeing so much as the staying up afterwards. I think we ARE going to do diapers at night for awhile. We've already limited her fluids and no drinks in bed at all...I think Shannon's solution of Time is what it will come down to. And yes, it seems everything IS always a matter of Time.

Thank you guys for all your suggestions.

michelle said...

That is definitely not fine. Hope you get more sleep -- and cortisol -- soon!

Crystalyn said...

hello my cortisol-deprived friend. between hanna being up and hanna waking thomas up i was up until about 5 last night...er, this morning. i'm hoping that the being up is due to being sick. it's all the hope i've got.

we had to stick with the pull-ups at night because of the same story you're writing. very frustrating! two nights ago she thought she wet her bed (she did not) so she changed out of her pull-up into underwear and tried coming in to sleep with us. her sleep patterns always have me stumped. although i'm sad you're in the same kind of sleep slump, it's nice to look over and see a friend in the boat next to me. good luck! you definitely need your sleep with the littlest little growing. i hope you get it soon!