Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Farmer Jo's Fresh Tomato Sauce




At the market I found a little pint of mixed tomatoes: red, grape, green and red striated, and yellow. They called out to me, "We were meant to be sauce on your pasta!" The resulting sauce is perfect if you live on a farm. Upon rising, mix the ingredient, go out to the fields and come back to a perfectly flavored lunch. So here is what I did:
2 cups tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup olive oil
1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic, smashed
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
2-4 tablespoons capers
Combine oil, red pepper flakes and crushed garlic in a small bowl. Add tomatoes. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit on your counter for 1 to several hours to let the flavors meld. The tomatoes will give up a luscious juice. Just before serving, heat for 3 minutes in a hot skillet, turn off heat, add capers and serve over pasta (pictured here with spinach and chive linguine).

9 comments:

Kelly said...

This looks fantastic!

Ann said...

Yummy...I didn't eat breakfast this morning and this is making me hungry!!!

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmm! lycopene in colors!
Dad

michelle said...

Those tomatoes are amazingly beautiful! I want that for lunch...

Rebecca said...

I've never seen so many different grape tomatoes! YUMMO M

rebecca said...

Gorgeous, and I want some. Your food posts always do me in! More! More!

emily k. smith said...

Mmmm mmmm mmmm, Jordan! That looks so good!

Katy said...

Only dad would bring up lycopene.

Just what I was craving!

Michelle said...

looks very tasty! Did all the tomatoes come separately or packaged together? I bet it tasted great too!