Saturday, November 17, 2007

Avocados and 25 Quarts of Blood


I'm back today. Extra posts means excess thoughts. The light in this photo is dim because it was a late late evening snack. Coincidentally, I'm thinking of our baby girl, the one I'm growing. She's about as big as an avocado. Her heart pumps 25 quarts of blood a day! Her Dad took her brother and sisters out to the park this afternoon so that her mom could "have a break". It was totally irrational of him since he should have been sleeping due to his 9pm-7am shift in the ER tonight. And it was totally needed. Because I had run out of the patience required to be needed all. the. time. With that time I waxed this table (see what good use we're putting it to m and d? I just wish I could keep it cleared off for an hour):

lucy, cutting and gluing. lucy is always cutting and gluing.



and bought an outfit to wear to a wedding tomorrow. While I was sitting sipping some soup shopping bag at my feet, one at a table for two, I felt terribly lonely. The truth is, none of us need a break from what we do, we need a break from doing it alone. So, we write. Or we knit. Or we photograph our world. Or we snuggle up. Or we phone someone. Or we dissolve ourselves into the pages of a book. Or we pray. Or we steal hugs from our children as they run by though they scream in protest because really, the truth is, we all need a break from doing it alone. We reach out into the world to connect. It's what keeps our hearts pumping all those quarts of blood. It's what keeps us waking up for more even on the mornings after the nights spent as one in a bed for two.


14 comments:

Jeni said...

I understand the feeling of being needed all. the. time.

In fact, I'm getting my break the weekend after we get back from Utah. Lexi and I are going to Houston without the babies! Staying the night in a hotel! We can sleep in until we WANT to get up! I can't wait. "Breaks" with friends are way better than a break alone. But I take the "alone" ones when I can.

Kurt Knudsen said...

When are you going to write your novel?

Rebecca said...

Ditto.

Amy said...

That last paragraph is genius. Love your words.

Jenny Dahl said...

Just want you to know how much I love reading your blogs. I'm not sure if I mentioned that before but I love them as much as I need them. Thanks

S. Schuller said...

I agree with those who commented about your brilliant writing! I just love reading your blog, which I do at least 5x a week. And, I love the table you waxed. Did you make it? Please tell...

rebecca said...

Yes, yes. The needed "break", redefined. Also, to feel isolated while surrounded seems nonsensical, but I have felt as lonely WITH as without. I love that we can share, here, and I hope you feel as connected with us out here as we do when we read your insightful words.

Elizabeth said...

You summed it up for me so well, especially the stealing hugs as they run by part.

amy m said...

Words to live by. It has certainly made me think a little differently about alone time.

Tasha said...

A girl! I am so excited for you!

As always you make an excellent point, we just don't want to do it alone all the time.

Sure miss you!

Shannon said...

What a good husband. Of course he has a good wife. We mom's know the being needed All. The. Time. All too well. Glad you got a short break and isn't it interesting how alone one can feel when finally alone. Loved your comment on my post today. And a big congratulations to girl #3. I love the way you eat. We like the same foods.

Shawna B. said...

Well all rigth! Another girl! Great news, Joradan. So happy for you and your crew.

You hit it right on - we get lonely from doing it alone. Amen to that.

When ARE you going to write that novel?

jayniemoon said...

I don't think it could be said much better. Thanks for the thoughts, and congrats on another girl! Can't wait to hear what you name her!

Rachel said...

jordan--- i love reading your posts. i think i need to dwell on the "break from doing it alone" instead of just the break from it. I think i have those totally confused.

happy that you're having a girl! maybe someday our little girlies will be friends . . .