Thursday, October 04, 2007

Simple Firelight


I'm beginning to implement ways to simplify our lives. To prevent burnout. To bring more quality to this quantity of life we've bitten off. We eat all our meals out on the back porch--breakfast, lunch, dinner. Less cemented-to-the-floor bran flakes below the highchair, less dried milk drools on the table that take five minutes each to scrub off, less cheerios scattered across the room, less crumby chairs. Now, one weekly sweep outdoors and a hose squirt to the highchair.


So tonight I fired up the grill to enhance our al fresco experience. Craig had Lucy and Seth at soccer practice and Hazel went to bed early after a skipped nap. When they got home the sun had relented its light just enough to invite candle-lit lanterns (which lanterns Craig dislikes because he knocks his head on them every time he walks out onto the grass, which I'm not concerned about because he doesn't walk out onto the grass very often--I'm the mower and trimmer of the lawn). It was lovely, albeit a bit warm and sweaty.




8 comments:

Kurt Knudsen said...

I love al fresco eating as well. It's as if you are on vacation for an hour.

Jill said...

Brilliant idea for easy clean-up and ambiance.

Michelle said...

I love that you can eat outdoors like that, and the lanterns look so great- We have always lived in a duplex and shared a back yard I can't wait to have my own even if it's a rented home.

Jeni said...

Eating outside wouldn't work here...ants the size of your big toe would be all over every little cheerio scattered on the ground. I'm trying to "simplify" as well. I'm carrying off loads of junk to the thrift shop. Why do I need so much stuff? I don't.

rebecca said...

I agree with your dad. Always feels like a separation of sorts - an away, even if only for a moment.

Brook said...

I love to watch Emma eat outside. With PBJ in one hand she gazes off watching wildlife...bunnies, ants, flies. I prefer the non cleanup as well. hey have fun in St George. Wow, you must be pros at the trek to Utah. We are about to embark on a little road time too. We'll see how it goes.

Katherine said...

Ooh, fun! I love eating al fresco. Here there are way too many bugs.

michelle said...

What a great idea for simplifying your life! Al fresco dining is the best, love the lanterns, love your lack of concern for Craig bumping his head.