Thursday, October 04, 2007

Just What The Doctor Ordered

This picture was taken through the window of Seth's room looking out onto Hazel finishing breakfast. I was in her brother's room gathering clothing for our trip tomorrow morning. I lost count how many times we've driven this drive: heading north, through Indian Reservations and small quaint art towns, past majestic red rock, until we finally reach long and lean I-15 and count the mountains until we at last reach Gromma and Grompa's mountain--the one with the "Y" on it.



We are preparing once again (and pregnant once again) to cheer our Craig on at the St George Marathon finish line where Popsicles and apples await with sweaty hugs. After the race we will finish "the drive" up to Provo and send Craig off conference-bound to Seattle while we settle in with my parents for a few days until he returns to drive us all home.



I am sentimental about the drive. Though we have done it countless times--the *times* are running out as my parents gear up for a relocation. No more Glen Canyon Damn pit stops or resting at the fountain near the gas station in Kanab, and...my favorite, pulling off University onto Oak Lane where the most beautiful neighborhoods abide. It is home and I'm thrilled to be going again.

Craig is perhaps not so thrilled, mostly for the drive. It is ideal for my tired pregnant self. I can plop my fanny down--nearly all day (not such good news for my fanny)--and be mother from a seated position to three littles strapped down in their carefully chosen spots. Rarely a bicker, only needs easily fulfilled by snacks, snappy tunes, and stories. Yes, the drive is long, but we're together as a family discussing, listening, and sometimes just ignoring one another.


It is a suitcase load of work to pack up for such a road trip. But, the night before I still get tiny pangs of excited anticipation, as if I were 10 again, going to visit MY grandparents who both lived on the same mountain with the "Y". I think this road trip is just what I need.

14 comments:

Kurt Knudsen said...

HAPPY YOU'LL BE ON OUR MOUNTAIN IN A FEW!

annalisa said...

Good luck with the race, and with driving all your littles. Will you be in Salt Lake at all during your stay?
Those ghost cookies look deliciously fun. I just may have to try those out over here. I have a pumpkin sitting on my porch waiting to be scooped out for soup and pumpkin seeds. I just love this time of year.

rebecca said...

Safe travels, in car and on foot!

Amy said...

Enjoy your trip. I'm so glad it comes at a time when you feel it's just what you need!

Tasha said...

If you feel like driving "the rest of the way up" let me know! How long will you be in Provo? We could meet in SLC.

Be careful! Tell Craig we are rooting for him. Will you get to see SaraB?

ingrid said...

We'll be driving too, just in a different direction. (We're Louisiana bound...LSU vs.UF here we come! It should be an exciting game. GEAUX TIGERS!) And GEAUX CRAIG!!!

Email me your cell... I think Mike has Craig's cell, but I'd like to confirm...

Enjoy your rested fanny! :)

Rebecca said...

Hurry, before it gets too cold
MOM

Michelle said...

Have a safe and great trip- good luck with the Race! Any trip home is sentimental.

Jenny said...

Doug and I have done that drive a number of times back when we were first married. It's long, but it was such a gorgeous drive. We would stop and get ice-cream cones at I forget which gas station in Kanab.

Good luck to Craig! Are your parents locating outside of Utah?

michelle said...

Jordan, if a long road trip with three young children and trying to meet their needs from the front seat of the car sounds like your idea of a much-needed break..... yikes! I don't even know what to make of that. That sounds pretty hard to me! (But I know that once you arrive at your destination it will all be worth it.)

Ann said...

Have you ever thought of making your wedding dress again?

Shannon said...

Have a great vacation. There are certain roads each of us have. How I miss my drive from Fruitand, Idaho to Provo and back. Enjoy it.

Shawna B. said...

We love that mountain with the "Y" too! I made that same trip countless times as a child to visit my grandparents in Arizona. A stop at Glen Canyon Dam was always a must! When we hit Kanab, we knew we were getting close to crossing the border, where we'd honk the horn and jump around .... that same stretch of road has such powerful memories for me too.

Enjoy your time at HOME.

Jeni said...

I love the little foot propped on the tray...she knows how to enjoy breakfast.