Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Queen and Her Words


I'm sitting down. No one is pulling my swivel chair away from the keyboard causing multiple spelling errors. I'm just about to dive in and finish a book I started a few days ago. I'm waxing pensive about my life. As we were moving on from bath time to story time tonight I was sitting on the toilet looking out into the main room where I saw all three crawling on all fours. I sat there and thought, "I have three babies, and here I am growing another." If people were wise they would wait until each child was self-sustained before producing the next. But people aren't wise and it doesn't take wisdom to raise children, despite the popular belief in this, the 21st century. I am not wise, for sure. Of course wisdom only comes from above, it is what we do down here to channel it that counts, right? Right now I'm channeling a cold and some slight nausea. Two minutes ago (right before I began tapping these keys) Seth called me in to "Sing him a song". I sang our standard lullaby, "Sandman". It was delightful to watch his delight at my sub par singing--that's the best part of being a mother--you are adored even with all your sub par-ness. I just peeked at this new blog, she's a friend and I love her realness. She is going to Turkey with her husband and three little boys. She has always been courageous in so many ways, and real. Real courage. I found her (a California native) in a little makeshift chapel in Cork, Ireland--she was working on a natural healing farm and I was selling potatoes at the town market. We were instant friends and so I followed her to Spain with a pit stop in London and Paris. This was a time when we felt like ourselves. Before we had tiny children crawling around in our own homes with husbands away a lot. It was a completely different time. [Seth just called me in again, he said, "When it gets lighter, and lighter, and lighter, and lighter, and lighter.....and....lighter, and lighter....and lighter, then Daddy will come home and then go to work again." (he really said that many "lighter-s" and I listened patiently to all of them. Yes, Seth, that is right. Good night. Love you. See you in the morning]. Here I go to horizontalize myself in my King-Size bed and read like a queen. For, when all is said and done, I am. The queen.

5 comments:

rebecca said...

Your Highness, thanks for you words tonight, your candor, your reverie. You channel like no other, to me.

Sara said...

Far from wise in any way am I. . . but reading YOUR posts always makes me feel a bit closer. Fabulous as always! I too love that our kids adore us sub par-ness and all. Today I was a grouch and later when I was apologizing to Mya for being such she just looked at me and said, "I think you are a wonderful mother". It doesn't get much better than that.

Jordan said...

Sara, your Mya is the wise one.

amy m said...

You seem to me to be a very very wise soul indeed. It is good to be reminded that in the eyes of my children I reign supreme and that with all my mistakes they still know how much I love them. Thank you for your thoughts.

Jill said...

I always think of you as being wise (and brave) and a wonderful mother from a wonderful family married to a wonderful man, so you're definitely a queen who deserves time horizontalizing!