Thursday, September 20, 2007

Leaps and Crawls

When we went to get Seth's silver soccer shoes, we were piling out of the van and Lucy expressed that she wanted some shoes, too. Seth informed her that, "Soccer shoes are for boys, not girls!" Little did he know there would be more girls on his soccer team than boys.

At first I was worried that Seth would be too timid to be able to participate well with the other kids on a team. Watching him at dusk, at the park, yesterday evening at his first soccer practice, I was amazed at his maturity. He is definitely the smallest and I think the youngest of the 8 kids. He followed right along even stretching his little calves and hamstrings (he's the one on the far right next to his coach). They dribbled to the wall and back, but Seth stopped at the wall before returning and threw his arms in the air shouting, "I did it!" He would run back to the blanket where Hazel and I were lounging for sips of water periodically and say, "I'm tired", but then he'd run right back out and practice his stops and his kicks. He has had to share everything with Lucy his whole life, and now she has even invaded his "preschool territory", I think he felt proud to be doing this himself.

It was warm, but a hint of a "fall breeze". Lucy snacked and swung on the swings with Craig. Hazel ate dirt. I watched, amazed at the passage of time where once in awhile you see leaps where before there were only crawls.

7 comments:

Katy said...

Hazel and Azure could prepare quite a feast with dirt and sand together!

I could picture little Seth and all his enthusiasm. How fun...and that Craig could be there, too, to watch his son carry on his love for the sport.

Ann said...

Wow. Time sure is passing quickly! I can't believe he is already on a soccer team. How fun for him!

Jill said...

I'm sure he was so cute out there stretching his tiny calves and chasing that big ball around. I'm delighted there were so many girls on his team, silver shoes are definitely not just for boys.

Michelle said...

What great photos! It does go by so quick. I have held back on doing anything extracurricular for Rose because school is so long- but your post inspired me. What a great way to enjoy your family.

rebecca said...

I love his triumphant shout at the wall. The "leaps" take me by surprise, too.

ingrid said...

Following in his father's footsteps, I see. And OF COURSE, he's the smartest! After all, he IS a Mangum.

I also loved his triumphant shout at the wall.

michelle said...

Yes, those leaps can kind of sneak up on you! Love the image of stretching those tiny calves and hamstrings.