Sunday, September 02, 2007

Claustrophobia or Heaven?

Tonight I sat on the couch in our usual spot: between Seth and Lucy. Our books were Fast-Slow, High-Low: A Book of Opposites by Peter Spier and Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes. Both engrossing works. I was, however, barely able to lift my elbow to turn the pages. Seth was leaning heavily on my right and Lucy couldn't sit closer on my left if she tried. I nudged myself some page-turning room several times during the readings and felt like screaming, "Give a girl some space!!" at the same time I felt I would like to fall asleep there just like that. These two close, all three of us warm, safe, adoring. This paradox: a paradigm for my time.




*Hazel, ten months old today, was already binky-ed and bottle-d in bed: 6 o'clock bliss.

9 comments:

rebecca said...

I LOVE this. Every. Last. Drop.

Crystalyn said...

am in the same paradox myself. so easy to go from one feeling to the other almost instantly.

love this picture!

Kelly said...

Love this, too! My Avery has no concept of personal space, and is very lovey. It drives me nuts a good deal of the time, but at the same time it will be a sad day if she ever grows aloof. I hope she doesn't, but "give a girl some space!" often runs through my head.

michelle said...

So well put, Jordan. I have felt that way many times. But, having one who has outgrown the cuddly phase, I can tell you that I do look back with longing. A paradox indeed.

amy m said...

Yes, exactly is all I can say. I live this on a regular basis and what a paradox it truly is.

Shawna B. said...

Good one, Jordan! I felt this exact same way last night when I was trying to read to Curtis - a little snuggling is a good thing, but man, when you can barely turn the pages, well, it's a bit too stifling! Give a girl some space - but not too much, because I do wonder if some day they won't want to cuddle much with me anymore. I mean, what 16 year old guy still wants to rest his head on his mom's shoulder while she reads to him?! I am rambling yet again ...

Jenny said...

I think that is a good description. And definitely a little of both :)

Lucy said...

You always capture the whole picture...because, of course, it's both. But it's easy to forget about the heaven side when an elbow digs into your hip. Someday, I'll miss those elbows, I think.

Jill said...

I think these feelings define the paradox of motherhood perfectly.