Tuesday, September 11, 2007

8 Things

When we were younger our Dad would chide us for turning our noses up at food placed in front of us. He would announce, "You can't say you don't like ____ until you've had it 8 times." I've never been sure where he got this number. I always thought that it was because there were eight people in our family. But, that doesn't make sense. So, here are "8 things so that you can't say you don't know me." (:


Here I am: mistooken, blurry, or self-photographed
1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE fresh flowers. It is a true love affair. I always pause as I pass the water buckets of flora in the grocery store. If there is ANY extra money in the budget it goes to filling at least a few vases in the house.

2. Lucy is sitting on my lap right now wearing tap shoes and eating skittles. She and I are a lot alike.

3. We swim in the pool everyday. I watch over the fence as our neighbors pools sit still as glass day after day and it makes me sad and seems a waste of water and space. I'm sure they tire of our splashes and shrieks.


4. I crave the coast.


5. Organization gives me peace of mind. I resent this and wish I could coexist peacefully with chaos.

6. I never make the same recipe twice. (Do you realize how many recipes there are out there).

7. I've tried nearly every cracker out there and I still think Wheat Thins take the cake: slightly nutty slightly sweet (like the best people).

8. These eight are dedicated to Amy M. who thinks I have cleavage. I don't.

15 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love learning more about you. When I am away from a coast I crave it desperately. I am in my perfect element now surrounded by coastline.

Jenny said...

I would have to agree with you on the pool--such a shame. What I would do to have a pool in my backyard right now.

Isn't it funny what we as parents do get our kids to try new things? How are you feeling?

Melissa said...

I love that you try new recipes. Isn't it great? I must say that I use my tried and true recipes often, but do love trying a new one once in awhile. My aunt also never cooks the same meal. She collects cookbooks and has 100s of them. I love learning about you everyday. I wish I was better at blogging. My blog (www.hallidayfamily.com) is sadly over a month old. If I can ever get my two boys to nap at the same time, maybe I will update it!

rebecca said...

After all of this time, I still can't believe how you are so delightfully experimental in the kitchen. Your food is so yummy - it seems like you are familiar with it. The sign of a true chef, I suppose. Also, won't you get cleavage with your new pregnancy?

Shannon said...

How nice it would be to have you as a neighbor to swap creations with.

Jenny Dahl said...

Yes, wheat thins win the blue ribbon for me too. I also have no cleavage at all, but then again no one thinks I have it so you are one up on me.

Crystalyn said...

serious? never made the same thing twice? wow!!! that is impressive. no wonder your food entries always sound so intriguing. i get in ruts ALL the time. where do you find your recipes? what makes you want to try them? do you menu plan and then get all the stuff for them? i think this is where i get stuck...is the menu planning. i don't like that.

ok, total tangent.

i get all out of sorts with chaos (i'm in it right now) yet somehow i can't figure out how to make organization something that flows for me. it seems it is always an uphill battle even though i crave it and love it. i am a case.

i agree with you about wheat thins. and people, too.

michelle said...

I do repeat recipes sometimes, if they are big hits, but I love to try new ones. The problem is that sometimes we really like them and then I never remember what it was or where the recipe came from. That tends to feed the urge to try new ones!

I have wanted a backyard pool my whole life, so I can't imagine the waste of a pool sitting empty!

Sara said...

I love these 8 things and the 1000 more about you that are so fabulous! I too am in the "no cleavage to speak of club" even engorged and nursing a baby doesn't quite do it for me. . . how sad!

Question: How were you able to post those three pictures in a row. . .I still can't figure out how to do that on blogger?

Jordan said...

Sara, you just choose the "None" position when uploading the photos. Then when the are uploaded you can click on them and move them side by side.

Crystalyn, I get most of my recipes from magazines. I also have a fairly large collection of cookbooks. Of course, as a disclaimer, I do repeat meals with the kids nearly everyday...they are tough ones to please for sure.

Rebecca said...

Well. It doesn't take eight things for ME to love you!
mom

ingrid said...

Ditto to 1,2,3,4,5,& 7. I still remember when Craig told Mike that you never cooked the same recipe twice many years ago and I am EXTREMELY impressed that you still continue this tradition. (I think Craig told Mike this after he had a cuban chicken & rice dish at our house for probably the 3rd or 4th time!) You have such amazing culinary talent. We do live by the coast...

Jordan said...

Ingrid--cuban cuisine AND cleavage--you've got a lot going for you!! We LOVED those meals over at your house. I don't think we've been invited to dinner here once!!

amy m said...

you crack me up and you better be sporting some cleavage with your pregnancy. I mean, is it not one of the pluses?

I am totally impress with your creativity in the kitchen, especially with children. I think I make the same stuff because my kids are so picky. I am requesting a list of your favorite recipes. I use to love to cook, but have somehow lost it in the craziness that happens around 5pm, perhaps you can be my inspiration to get it back.

I too love fresh flowers and wish I indulged more as well.

Jill said...

Great eight Jordan!