Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Sucker for Sentimentality





We scour the map. Every night. We spend hours in front of the screen perusing real estate sites. We've nearly memorized Money Magazine's top 100 places to live. I already boxed up the books on the shelves in our room. I'm stashing Huggies boxes like a maniac. I've stopped buying condiments for the refrigerator door. Yes...the countdown has begun, if only in my head.


Then, today, the kids and I made a bank run. As the capsule began its descent back I realized I had forgotten to ask for the suckers that my kids have come to associate with such an errand. Darn. Then, along side my grocery cash was two little dum dum suckers--one grape, one blue raspberry. Lucy, "I got purple!". Seth, "Are raspberries blue?" I was nearly (but not truly) choked up. My bank teller recognized me. Perhaps it was the DC (Dodge Caravan) that gave us away. Perhaps it was our now weekly stop to withdraw budgeted "envelope cash". But, I like to think that we have made a place for ourselves in this little community (though Phoenix is not so little). Then, I got a little sad about leaving. We've been here over two years. It takes me a long time to nestle into a niche and feel like a community contributor whose community also contributes to her.


Maybe when the dart finally pierces the map on the wall and we settle on a spot--THE spot, then I will not hold back so much and my nestling time will be cut significantly. I think so. And yet, will the bank tellers there be as good as the bank tellers have turned out to be here?


Above: One of the contenders for our next locale...can you guess where this is?? Anyone who hits it on the nose gets my latest ever so radical mix tape (okay its actually a CD) in the mail!! Whooyah!

14 comments:

Amy said...

Would you ever go inside if you lived in a place that looked so entirely breathtaking.. First I thought Denver. But the sky isn't so big there, so my final guess is somewhere, Wyoming.

Michelle said...

Crazy that I'm even on the internet at this time of the day but I can't go to sleep! It's the Grand Tetons but more specifically Mt. Moran along the shores of Jackson Lake- a beautiful area! But I could be wrong, just over that pass is Driggs Idaho, also very beautiful.

Heidi said...

Jackson Hole? Teton's? Are you thinking more rural?

JBK said...

Ox bow bend!

Sara said...

I think that is Grand Titan and you are either considering Jackson hole area, or somewhere in Idaho. Am I right!

Anonymous said...

It's Oxbow Bend at Grand Tetons, Wyoming!

Rhonda said...

Well, after stalking your absolutely and most wonderful blog, I thought for sure you would chose Connecticut! Although, I recognized those mountains in your post in a second. We so love our community here in Fairfield county. Alas... nothing beats the sunsets in the west, and as much as we love the East, there is nothing comparable to those purple and orange hues in a Western sunset at dusk.

Jordan said...

This is merely one place we are considering and actually it isn't in the top running (more chances for guessing later) but it is gorgeous, isn't it? We probably won't know the final locale until around Christmas...

Lucky You!! Amy, Michelle, Heidi, Jakey, and Sara...email me your addresses (I have some, but just in case) so I can ship off your ever so radical CD!

Lucy said...

If that's the kind of scene you want, then you really should check out Durango. Take out a tad of the green (it's southwest, after all) but basically...that's it. And it's such an artsy town. You would fit in perfectly. In fact, I know (not personally...but through other resident friends) that another LDS family moved there several years ago and he works in the ER there at the hospital.

When do you guys finish? No more condiments? I'm just worried about your ketchup supply with three little ones.:)

Julia said...

too late! I would have guessed Teton valley as well, but I can't tell if it is the Wyoming or Idaho side. I love both.

Good luck deciding.

Jordan said...

Lucy, luckily mine aren't too keen on the ketchup!

We will be moving in May/June of '08. We have totally considered Colorado.

betc said...

i can't believe you guys are almost "done" with this phase... while we still have another three years at least!! i do not envy your decision, brendan and i are already dreading the big decision of where to "settle" our little family. don't you wish you could test out a place to live for a few months before you have to decide!!

Jordan said...

Betsy! YES YES YES!! And YES!! A "test" is totally in order!

Jenny said...

My kids often realize when I don't get the suckers from the teller as well. Bribery is my way of getting through the day :)