Thursday, August 23, 2007

"Just good clean fun and a strong body and a goal, almost reached."











My title is a direct quote from a really good friend. I just read here about her race coming up in 9 days and it prompted a post.

Some people hate running and even go so far as to chide you for it. They like to ask, why do you torture yourself? Why do you like to make your body hurt. There is so much difference between hurt and pushing the limits of your physical capacity, don't you think. My race on Saturday is 13 miles. This is not a gargantuan push. I will not be swimming and biking AND running. It is not 26.2 miles. But, I guarantee, this postpartum-Hazel body will be pushed.


I came home from a run along the canal and told Craig, "there are long-term, irreversible consequences to having children". I will probably never feel that floating sensation midway through the Mardi Gras Marathon in New Orleans in 2002--pre-baby, pre-Seth--the feeling where I thought I could run forever. But, have you ever raced? Have you ever finished a race? A goal?



Yesterday on the treadmill at the YMCA, a story on Princess Di's life was on. I watched the whole thing and listened to none of it. Just as they were relating her shock the night before her wedding (closed-captioning) when she found the bracelet meant for Camilla and the phone calls!! I was at nearly 7 miles and my mind began to slip into overdrive and I paused the machine. Then, something took over as it always does and I started over. As Di's boys carried on her legacy of service I rocked the eighth mile--my goal that night.


It is the gift of mental strength (mind over matter) that this physical exertion gives. A real high. Reaching the goal. A strong body. Good. Clean. Fun.

{Pictures are Peeks into the Park City course}
See you back here in one week!!

14 comments:

rebecca said...

Run, Jordan, run!

Anne said...

Good luck with your race! You'll do great!

Katy said...

Hey, Jordan, the most I ran before my half-marathon was about 8 or 9 miles, so you're set!!!

Amy said...

Good luck with your race! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Jenny said...

That is awesome. I wish you could rub some of that off on me. I always drag when I run. Perhaps I need to go beyond my usual 3 miles??

Shannon said...

I ran for Eight years with a true love for running. I ran the St. George marathon at 22 and felt like I could continue on. I am an endurance runner, unfortunately the body does wear out. I can't run like I used to but I still love it.

Elizabeth said...

I hope you have a great time. What a beautiful place to push yourself.

Kelly said...

You runner girls just amaze me! Good luck with your race -- I can't wait to hear about it.

Jenny Dahl said...

Oh I love the adrenaline, the blood, sweat and tears. I love the challenge and the pain you wake up with the next morning. I wish I was running with you but still 26 miles is too much for my old knees. Good luck Jordan. Hopefully that altitude won't kill you!

Jason said...

I miss having friends around that have my same need to push my body to the limits. I have not been able to run long distances since the Nashville half, as my knees just don't hold up. There are consequences, but that greater struggle to get to your goal makes it even more sweet when you reach it. I will send some adrenaline your way! GO JORDAN!!!! Run for me!

Melissa

Sara said...

Way to go Jordan! My old running pal. . . oh how I miss those NOLA runs!

amy m said...

I would love to run with you...13 mi is a goal I could do, though it would take me a long time to train, kids do change things don't they. I think it's great your doing it. You're right there is nothing like setting a goal and seeing it through.

Good luck my friend on your race!

michelle said...

There are irreversible effects of childbearing, but I don't think I have ever felt like I could run forever! You can do it, Jordan!

Amy said...

I keep checking back to hear how it went!