Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Gone Bananas






Lucy has a banana every morning.


It is pretty much the first thing she does besides spit out her pacifier--and yes she is 2 1/2 and still has a pacifier, and yes, I'm fine with that, and yes we do call it p a c i f i e r-no pet names for this miracle worker.


Aaaanyway, bananas.


So we've sort of run out of food--like fresh food--since we are on a budget, bla, bla, bla (that was for you crog) and haven't had our usual stock of bananas for the Luce. Well, above my bed I keep a big urn where all lose change ends up.


Cue to the other night: I was desperate for some crusty bread to go with the many half empty (yes, half empty) jars of bruschetta toppers I had in the fridge (this was the only thing to snack on and I wasn't about to down that stuff with a spoon). So I dug up some coinage out of the urn and headed to Trader Joe's. I spied the bananas on my way to the bread and thought of my sweet Lucy who has been choking down dry cheerios with her juice for the past week or so.



I had four dollars with me. I checked the price of the "artisan roasted garlic bread" and tore free three bananas at the perfect ripeness stage.


To myself I thought, how nice that now Lucy will have something delicious to eat for the next three days until Dr. Craig gets paid and we can grocery shop without digging in the urn.


Cue to the following morning: Lucy (now in a big girl bed and perfectly able to open the door) knocking on said door shouting, "Can I come out".


I opened the door, "Lucy, you can open the door."


Ignoring me she spies the bananas, "Can I have a banana?"


I peel one for her and slip back into the covers beside Dr. Craig-still sleeping (is he really sleeping?--I never can tell) No, he wasn't because he got up when we heard Lucy say, "It's in my hair". This could be anything.


In Lucy's hand was a fully peeled banana. Craig inquired as to where the peel was (in the DVD player, in Hazel's crib, or perhaps in Lucy's silver clutch). "In the trash."


Craig looked in and there were three banana peels. Little Lucy ate three bananas!!! I can barely down half of one.


Lucy now has three banana-less mornings to endure. Poor Lucy. She had gone so long without and overindulged.
Have you left your comment here?

15 comments:

Allison said...

She was making up for lost time. I know just how you feel. I too, have to dig in the "urn" for my daily beverage when it gets to the end of the paid period, but it is necessary.

michelle said...

That is too funny! How could she resist? My dad eats 3 bananas for breakfast every morning and I always wonder how he can possibly do it, but he's a grown man! She's 2 1/2! She does love those bananas...

michelle said...

p.s. I wish I could get Eva to eat 3 of anything!

Jenny said...

Love this story. And for the record Jared was nearly 4 for before our pacifier retired. :)

I am not a big banana eater myself. I so know the "urn" feeling. I am doing it right now.

Michelle said...

I had to comment on this one- Rose has done the very same thing with bananas and large carrots, the carrots because of bugs bunny. I just feel glad that it's healthy food! I think a handbook should be written on how homemakers budget when their spouse is in a post-graduate program!

Katy said...

You need some of those freeze dried fruit from costco in your food storage so Lucy will never have to go without, in case of natural disaster. They are yum.

Amy said...

Oh the nostalgia you'll have when you someday think back to digging for change in your urn. Lucy is so cute! My Aidan used to have a banana obsession and once snuck five at once. Needless to say, he also had a constipation issue.

Hannah said...

So cute- how could she resist? Mya eats a banana every morning and tells me on the mornings when she is eating the last one so I know to get her more! I have dug in the bowl many a time- I swear all moms on a tight budget have to from time to time. One of these pay periods I will get it though and won't need to, right?

Elizabeth said...

That sounds like K. He can down 3 no problem. Even as a little babe he would devour them. Know with our little tropical apple bananas it is not unusual for him to want 6 or 7.
We have raided L's piggy bank many a times to buy groceries. Usually after Grandma has come and stocked it.

Jill said...

I'm lucky if I get myself to eat one banana, and it has to be perfect, not too hard and not too soft, so I really can't imagine eating 3 bananas at one time.

Whitney had her pacifier until she was 3.5 and I was fine with that. I was so grateful to have something that instantly soothed (and quieted) her!

Katherine said...

What a cute story! I love when Franny pigs out like that because she's not a very good eater at all. Once she ate a half pound of bacon! We couldn't believe it.

Shannon said...

Pacifiers are exactly that. There was no push in our house to get rid of the miracle soothers at bed and nap times.
I am all too familiar with robbing the "urn" I remember breaking into the 72 hour kits for food and change.

Rebecca said...

What a great story. I couldn't get Lucy to eat one banana when I was there. Hummmm. MOM

amy m said...

I think she has the idea. Bananas really are only good for one of two days so you might as well eat them before they go bad. Thanks for solving my problem lucy.

Kelly said...

This is the best story! That is a lot of banana for a small tummy. Such a cute indulgence. And, yes, I remember the spare change grocery days all too well. In Chicago we had toll roads, and it would always make me sad to have to drive somewhere on one and spend that sweet change.