Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Engine Light is ON

And other things you shouldn't ignore...






...Like the fact that "my parents are selling their home" in Provo!!!! (!!!!!)

MY home from age twelve on up! It is exciting and heart wrenching in the same breath. Speaking of breath--how about the view-just takes it, don't it? Do the memories get sold along with the house? Because isn't "returning to the place" the impetus to open those flood gates and reminisce? Will "Gromma and Grompa's House" ever really feel like a "Gromma and Grompa's House" when, upon visiting, I won't be able to say things to my youngins' like, "Mommy did ___ here when she was your age!" I guess I will leave that responsibility up to the Makers of Gromma and Grompa's new place--wherever that may be.
Unca Doug showing of the built in china cupboard in "the music/dining room"--check out that woodwork people!!

Remember when we used our oh-so-advance filming skillz (yes, with a "z") and filmed ourselves jumping off the master bedroom balcony landing on the grass below then being punched by the evil dude who, upon punching, breaks open the little packet of watery ketchup mixture in the punchee's mouth that gave the illusion of a blood-inducing blow? What about the 4th of July fireworks made possible by this view: (yes, that is the lovely BYU)





Will that celebration ever have as much flair as it did here? And...the garden, Dad, the garden!! No one could ever muster up from the earth the character in greenery that you have. Will your next house have a gun closet, a bomb shelter, a powder room, a trophy case, or a "back" porch AND a patio? No, it won't. Nor will it have this front porch (and her fabulous doors):




Where else will you find a front step that has real buffalo-head nickels embedded in it's red cement. Where I scored my first kiss(Scott--hmm, forgot his last name) and last kiss (Why Craig of course!--although we do still kiss but not usually on this porch--nor ours for that matter) !! Where the ducks used to come to poop until we finally set them free in Provo River. Where thousands of steps have been stepped in order to feast at the entertaining graces of the Knudsen table. How can we say farewell to this house where the aftermaths of 5 weddings were celebrated! (Ben, you better get in gear!)

Does your dining room fit a 14-foot table?

It is the end of an era, folks. Does anyone know anyone looking for the perfect home?

Because this was perfect for me: in junior high when Matt D. told me that I was still just as beautiful with braces as without, in high school, when the living room hosted many late night zoology study groups a few early morning birthday kidnappings, lots of tacky corsage pinnings, and then of course super cheap rent ($0) in college so I could use that same home as a home base for my travels. Can they legally sell the spot in which you fell in and out of love with so many people and things? What about if it is where you learned to cook? Or where you learned who you were and what you could become?

The answer is yes, they can and they are.

For more pics and specs go here

(By the way, our engine light IS on and we are NOT ignoring it.)



23 comments:

Jenny said...

That is sad to see that your oldest home is soon to be sold. Maybe you and Craig could snatch it up :)

Way to go on the budget. That is one of my biggest weaknesses. I also find myself throwing a lot of wasted food into the trash. Such a shame!

Elizabeth said...

My childhood home and the magical avocado groves that surrounded it were bulldozered to make room for a gated community of Mcmansions. My treetop fort and mud lake gone. Thank goodness for memories.

sista # 2 said...

There is just something about the childhood home -well, especially with so many wonderful memories. I was raised in the same house from birth to age 17. Then we moved to a much larger, new, nicer, custom home (new state) and the kids missed the old in a way, but we made new memories! BTW...are they going to serve a mission or what?

Jordan said...

Yes, Janae, they are planning on serving a mission then relocating to a place where there is more of a market for their artwork.

ingrid said...

My parents are still in the home that they built when I was an infant! I seriously could not imagine them moving, but that day could come... Yes, thank goodness for memories! Your parent's home has so much character!

That's exciting that your parents are planning to serve a mission - what a noble reason for selling their home and planning to relocate upon their return.

Jeni said...

I can't believe your parents are selling their home!!! I thought they would stay in it forever and that you would inherit it one day. I'm in shock. Pure shock. So sad. I loved that house and I've only been to it twice!

michelle said...

Oh dear! I never had a home like that, because we moved so much. I always envied people who grew up in the same house in the same place. For me, that house was my grandparents' house (in Denver). I never ever wanted them to sell it -- it was my home base, and home to so many memories.

They did sell it, a couple of years ago, and moved to a smaller, more manageable home for them. I was so so sad. But you know what? Their new home still feels just so them. It feels right still.

emily k. smith said...

I was shocked to hear the news too! I recently got a tour of the bomb shelter, which terrified me at first since Megan was flicking spiders off boxes and I wasn't sure where they were going to land, but after reading some labels on the many boxes down there I began to wonder how many memories does this room house? Your parents have such a gorgeous house, too bad it is out of my price range, I would gladly take up residence there! Megan is still in a bit of denial.

Kelly said...

Oh, I understand! My parents are selling their home right now, too. It wasn't the home I grew up in, but it was my grandparents home for all of my growing up years and my parents bought it from my mom's siblings after my grandparents died. I have so many memories of that house -- mostly the yard (2 acres on a river in Montana), that it pains me a bit that they are selling. I know for them it makes complete financial sense, and to downsize as they approach retirement age, but it does tug at my heartstrings to know that crabapple tree will be someone else's ... and on and on.

Jordan said...

Kelly, how uncanny--this was MY grandparents home too before my parents moved in!

amy m said...

It is hard to sell a childhood home. I know it was difficult for me to let go of 25 yrs of memories. Too many I didn't want to forget...individuals I didn't want to let go of.

Of course as the saying goes. It's not the house that make the home it's the family.

Sara said...

Jordan. . .this is a crime! I LOVE your parent's home. I remember how taken I was by it and it's character when we paid you a visit there while we were all in Utah for Christmas (I think). I think it would be hard to see your childhood home be sold. . . never to be entered into again. Dito to what everyone has said about memories. . .and it looks like you have captured it well with those photos too.

Amy said...

The home and memories were like snippets from a full-blown novel that I'd LOVE to read. Go to it, Jordan! Your name was meant to be in print.

rebecca said...

Whew... it is officially ON.
After my parents sold my childhood home, I was delighted to feel so connected - surrounded, you know, with comfort and lay-down-on-the-floor familiarity, in their new place. The open-arms feeling traveled with them. You will drive your kids by this house someday, as I do with mine, boring them with stories of the olden days. Home is where the heart is, but truly, I know the feeling of attachment to PLACE as well. And your family's PLACE is magical, and WILL BE again.

Jill said...

My family moved so many times I never had one place as a home base like this, so I can only imagine how upsetting it would be to you to have your parents sell their house. It looks amazing and memorable.

Your new car has the engine light on??!

Katherine said...

NOOOOOO!!!!!

I'm so sad for you. That is the coolest house of all my friends, hands down.

Remember when we were down in the basement and we used all your cool dress-up clothes to go out for Halloween? And the kitchen is so amazing, and you're right about the dining room!

I know how this feels. When my parents moved from our childhood home and it was hard! I still dream about it sometimes.

nie nie said...

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sooo shocked! Where are they going. I am crying. this is making me really sad. i want that home. i want that home, i want that home.
can't jacob buy it? it needs to stay in your family.

Rebecca said...

Well, talk about a crying fest. I haven't cried once but your words brought in the flood gates. Aren't we grateful for such amazing memories! Let's make more!MOM

Chanel said...

I have always thought that your parents were so cooI. I am not surprised that they have such a groovy house.
I still totally want that "Holiness to the Lord" sign that your Dad makes. I really hope he will still be willing to make one for me in two years when we have a real job.

I am sad that you are losing your childhood home. Artists being able to sell their stuff to people who appreciate it is a great thing and a mission is even better. I am excited for them.

Jessica said...

I am pretty much in shock right now. I can't believe the Knudsen will soon no longer be the Knudsen house. The most amazing retreat and place where I learned to love roasted red peppers and so many glorious soups. Participating in Ashley's fabulous birthday dinners and being able to tell her along with her family all the reasons for loving her. Shoot. This is hard.

Shannon said...

What a great mid-century modern. I feel for you Jordan. When I walked around my childhood home with the boys this summer I cried. We aren't one home creatures anymore.

Jordan said...

Stephanie! I know! Unfortunately none of us can afford it!

TX Girl said...

I feel for you sister. It was hard seeing my parents put their house on the market last year. Lulu still asks to go and feed the fish in the pond. Although their house wasn't nearly as cool as your parents' house.

Hope it all goes well. I also hope your parents aren't pack rats like my parents. Nightmare.