Thursday, August 30, 2007

13 Miles with my hunny with a funny feeling in my tummy


My Mizunos and the "chip". This made you feel like you were on parole and actually running from the parole people. We were each rationed literally a block of stuff--all the stuff sitting in those airtight containers under your kitchen counter welded together into a block. I at least attempted to gnaw off a few bites, for I was starving. I then hit the "Pot-O-Golds" twice and I was race-ready!
Here we are on the warm up field. We did some faux stretching but mostly just enjoyed being us together. So, the race was fantastic. It was a 38-degree morning. The frozen fingers and forearms for the first six miles made the 7-mile thaw that much more exhilarating. The word "breathtaking" I suppose is super-appropriate here since these miles and their accompanying scenery both took my breath! Bridges over streams through wildflower fields into aspen-laden paths and all nestled 'tween those mountains!

I had this feeling in my stomach during the race. It wasn't gas or "race cramps" or hunger...it was just...something. After enough pavement pounding, though, my focus shifted from my abdomen to my legs--first the thigh backs, then the feet bones, then, finally those knee knobs!! I love it! I love it!

About, um, maybe 2 minutes away from the finish line Craig took me on a pit stop. Young Jeff, whom we didn't know, took a tumble down dehydration lane. Dr. Craig and his cohort Dr. EJ, who caught up in the meantime began feeling pulses and prodding for response--from what I gathered (as my legs slowly began to ball up into one solid mass of stiffness) there was a pulse but little response. Then, an en route ambulance was confirmed and we flew to the finish side by side. (Runner Jeff made it just fine.)

Once again: exhilarating. A must.

12 comments:

rebecca said...

SCORE!!!
Jeff is thanking his lucky stars to have been followed by the brave & brilliant Craig... what a tale.
Congrats - you finish with an "exhilarating" - and I FELT it, reading your report!

Amy said...

I've been waiting for this, and thought about you running on Saturday. I didn't, however, imagine 38 degrees (what?!). Congrats on a finished race. And I can think of no better way to do that than with the One by your side.

Anne said...

I've never seen a chip like that. It looks like you're on house arrest and trying to make a break for it.

Congrats on the race!

Michelle said...

So wonderful! I am so happy for you to accomplish something, anything!

Katy said...

Not just 13 miles--don't forget that last .1 that seems like a lot more than that! Congrats!

Jenny said...

You are so inspiring Jordan. Congrats to both of you. And thank goodness for Dr. Craig!! I think the little pit stop made it worth for you guys to finish it together. Sweet :)

Robyn said...

This is an inspiring post. I need to train for something! Totally true about the body after kids. I have to push myself to run whereas I used to run like a caged bird. I see you share my love for Mizunos but I am curious about 'the block'. It looks heavenly! PLEASE post a recipe if this is something you made or email me rakenhead25@hotmail.com. Please don't tell me it's from Trader Joes b/c I would have to get on a plane to buy it! Congrats on the 1/2 marathon!

Jordan said...

Robyn, they gave those to all the participants in our pre-race bags. It wasn't that great...sorry to disappoint!

Katherine said...

Congrats Jordan! You are my hero! I don't know how you do it. Who would have guessed 38 degrees? That is nuts!

Jeni said...

What's this "funny feeling" in your tummy? Do I have another niece or nephew on the way?:)

Crystalyn said...

congratulations!!! sounds breathtaking. glad jeff was ok. more glad you love it. makes me want to do it...

michelle said...

Amazing! I love that you finished together. What a phenomenal thing to do, and together makes it even better!