Friday, July 06, 2007

True Red, White, and BLUE!


Today I whisked Seth and Lucy off for an afternoon at my Alma Mater. My time at "The Y" was an intense period in my life and my heart beats a little faster when I return and roam the campus once more. As my children complained of hunger pangs I noticed fondly the spot in the grass near the library where I had fallen asleep on my textbooks and woke up with a note tucked into the spine with sweet nothings scribbled by my Craig (then my fiance). Lots has changed: my JKHB is now the JFSB and smells of shiny new paint and a fancy courtyard complete with fountain. I dragged them up to the third floor of the new building and after stopping at every drinking fountain for a sip we arrived at my old professors office door: not in. But ran into another and chatted for a bit. On the the bookstore where Seth scored a new T in honor of his Dad's time on the BYU Men's Soccer Team as their goalkeeper. After a quick lunch in the food court we strolled back to our car in the "Visitor" parking. I realized we were obviously visitors now, far beyond the otherworldliness of student life. When asked if he would go to BYU when he grows up, Seth replied, "No, I don't like this school, I like Preschool better!" Hmmm...His response still wasn't enough to jerk me back to the present, because 6-years-younger Craig was running toward me and my guitar (I was taking a class that semester) as I barely missed setting it down before he literally swept me off my feet. What a great University. I hope Seth changes his mind and sees the value of being "True Blue".
The other colors (Red and White) of the past few days were waved vigorously as we took in a balloon launch, a children's garden and maze, and rode on the ski lift at Sundance for a mountain picnic courtesy Grampa. In fact, we were too worn out the next morning to fight our way down to the Parade! The best part was waking Seth from a deep slumber to witness the fireworks from Grampa's lawn. What a show. Only two cupcakes could coax Seth back to bed after such a display.

8 comments:

michelle said...

I love the photo of all of you with the flags! Marc's office is in the new building, it certainly is different from the old JKHB -- he even has a window in his office now! I have fond memories of BYU, too, it's just that they're from way back in 1989-1991!

Katy said...

Ryan and I enjoyed a stroll around BUY, as Divine says, and soaked it up. There's nothing like it, is there?

rebecca said...

So odd to park in the visitor's lot, no? I, too, am filled with such intense emotions when I head over there. And surely, Seth will often long for preschool even after he starts up at a university.

Katherine said...

I love this post. I'm so glad the JKHB was a second home for you, too, because that's where I met you! How strange that it's all different now. I remember reading about all the changes that were going to made and wishing I was going to be around to see it, but now looking back, I have such fond memories of that weird and confusing building. I'm assuming you were talking about Peer. Too bad he wasn't around! I'm sure he would have LOVED to see you. Your post is making miss P-town for the 4th. There's a lot of fun stuff to do there!

amy m said...

It is so surreal to have moments like that and realize you were just there. Just a kid. Being free. Adam and I visited BYU a few years ago and I couldn't believe the flood of memories that came streaming back. IT made me sad to see all that had changed, but grateful that despite it it felt the same to me.

Elizabeth said...

What sweet campus memories for you two. Some of my favorites with Kalani happened on the BYU-H campus. Like when I knew for sure he liked me back.

Shawna B. said...

Oh, Rise and Shout, the Cougars are out! Crazy that it seems like just yesterday I was singing the Cougar Fight Song as a student at the football games and now, as a mom, my children sing it along with me as we ride in the van in Virginia! Life moves at break neck speed. So glad I spent some time at the "Y".

I'm true blue, baby!

Amy said...

Visiting BYU campus always freaks me out a bit. The JKHB was a home of sorts to me & Kelly...oh the days spent studying Japanese in those halls. But life does not freeze. And I like to think that everything from those crazy college days is preserved somewhere. In my mind, I suppose..