Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Sum of the Parts

This was taken at about 10:30pm. The Fireworks had just started. The back lawn at my parents was littered with lounging friends and relatives. The perfect spot to witness the mesmerizing display. Oohs and aahs abound every year at this time. Seth had been asleep for over four hours.



My days are long, filled with the unresting requests of a preschooler, a toddler, and an infant. Bedtime is sweet relief. But, how could I let this moment elude this little? So on this night, as I roused Seth from a deep slumber, I carried his warm little limbs outside to watch the fireworks. He will more than likely never remember these few moments, when he sidled up next to Ashley on the blanket as the sky lit up in dizzying patterns and colors. Yet, as I carried him back downstairs, his hands full of treats from that nights festivities, I felt that this was a part of the Happy Whole for which we aim. All the little things of his life adding up to Big Joy. He may not remember that night, but the things we DO, make up who we ARE--even at four years old, right?

more vacation photos here

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm a firm believer in bedtime, also. But, you do have to make exceptions for a little magic now and then. The Happy Whole is definitely something to keep in mind.

Jill said...

You are a sweet and brave mom to wake Seth up for fireworks, but I think you're absolutely right about those moments adding up to make a happy whole.

Jenny Dahl said...

Yes, even at four!

amy m said...

Again, you couldn't be more right. I do believe it is the experience we have in our life that make us who we are no matter our age. I'm so glad you woke him up and let him experience the splendor of loud fireworks.

Crystalyn said...

yes, yes! it's those things that we do, even at four, that make it so when we are older it's just "always been that way." and "that way" brings so much comfort and joy. i bet he loved it!