Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Soaking It In


This second day of rain for us has brought much needed diversions. A diversion for Seth from Lucy. A diversion for Lucy because Seth is diverted. A diversion for me from the heat and from watering the yard. A diversion for Hazel...well, because this is actually Hazel's first rain. (Also today: her first turkey and pineapple.) When you're in a house full of people still in the throes of the "firsts" it forces a slowdown of sorts. I've been sitting on the couch a lot lately: Reading to Seth, whispering secrets about lip gloss and getting suckers at the bank with Lucy, wrestling with Hazel, feeding Hazel her "nap" bottle, watching Caillou with Seth, or just watching Seth and Lucy and Hazel. I HAVE to sit on the couch a lot lately because attempts at "productivity" seem to ignite the fires that couch-sitting quells. So...the rain is appropriate today, and yesterday, and hopefully tomorrow...for all this lounging about. Trying to love it, then loving it.

6 comments:

Kurt said...

Couches are good for your angle of repose. Like the toes behind the title Angle of Repose too!
Love you lots!
Dad

Jill said...

What a relief to get some rain, we finally got a little but I didn't even hear it, dang it. I support couch sitting of all kinds.

Elizabeth said...

I like that, trying to love it. then loving it. A lot of times it seems to happen that way with motherhood. But the end result is the same. We're loving it.

Katy said...

Why is it that attempts at productivity ignite those fires among the littles? I've found that, too, and it frustrates me.

Heidi said...

It actually was raining in Las Vegas on my way back to LA! What a blessing it must be to have some cooler weather. Sorry we missed each other in Utah!

Amy said...

Trying to love it, THEN loving. Oh yes. So many of my days follow that pattern..I just need to learn not to kick against it earlier in the day. Let go! I'm not really supposed to get things done. Right?!