Sunday, July 08, 2007

Rock Canyon

Stand still and the butterflies will land all around you at the place where water has seeped onto the trail and you will witness pointless perfection. They sit and simply fan their wings. Perhaps there is a point, but I can't see the purpose of one of nature's softest acts. It is beautiful. It is flawlessness without function.

We found these, really as huge as they seem in the picture. Mine plucked one for me and one for himself. We wished. Of course I will not tell you what I wished but besides blowing the seeds of a dead dandelion I am now putting out intense positive vibrations to make this wish a reality.
I was twelve when we moved up here. And from the time I was in braces in junior high until Craig drove me, a bride, deep down South, this canyon was a solace place. Climbing up her rocky curves formed a barrier between me and all else. In a world of take and need she only gives, except--my breath, she always takes.
Morning is the favorite time to run over her rocks and wade her waters. The dragon flies dart and tease obviously giddy from the Canyon's cool cool comfort of dawn. But, Evening (when these photos were taken) invites Warmth to stay just awhile making "hush" the sound of that hour.

This canyon, up the hill and down the street from my parents' place, is anything but inanimate to me. She moves me somehow. Makes my whole body come alive and then ache the day after? "I am happy and grateful that...." she always offers a little heart-healing and soul-soothing when I walk her halls.I can be one of those butterflies for the minutes I pass in this Canyon. I can be "perfectly pointless". No one needing me. Only there to
gently
fan
my wings.

17 comments:

Katy said...

What a beautiful post. Nature does wonders for one's soul. I hope you'll be able to make it out here to let the ocean move you (or at least make your hair go crazy wild).

Jenny Dahl said...

Inspiring and beautiful Jordan. I could use a few moments in a canyon alone to spread my wings. Glad to hear you are enjoying your time away. Hope your wish comes true!

Rachel said...

what gorgeous pictures. we're lucky to have grown up with that in our backyard.

Shawna B. said...

My poet friend. That canyon would take my breath away, too.

May that wish - and all others - come true!

Crystalyn said...

i hope you get your dandelion wish, and all others as well. i'm certain you can.

i love your words about your mountain. i taught yw today and we talked about the great creations we have all around us and how they move us and yes, take our breath away. i love it when they cause me to be still. things just make sense to me in that place of stillness.

nie nie said...

why did we leave why oh why oh why?? i miss utah with all my heart

Elizabeth said...

Just perfect!

Hannah said...

That dandelion is perfect. I love the serenity canyon hikes offer and am grateful to have access to so many great hikes at my fingertips.

Such beautiful words.

ingrid said...

Inspiring post, Jordan. May all your wishes come true!!!

Robin said...

Jordan, Hi there. Have you read "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek", by Annie Dillard? After reading this post, I thought if you hadn't read it, boy, you sure might like to.

Michelle said...

Jordan are you still in Provo?

Jordan said...

Yup! Still here. Couldn't bring myself (or my kids, for that matter) to go back to 118 degree weather.

Steph, I'm so sorry you had to return. You should have stayed and we could bask in the cool 100 degree afternoons here!! Here's sending you cooler vibes from Utey!

rebecca said...

Jordan - did you get engaged up that canyon?
Jer is still drawn to it with the same awe, the feelings of solace and delight.

Amy said...

"perfectly pointless"...I LOVE the concept. Beautiful.

michelle said...

beautiful photos -- I hope your wish comes true!

Jordan said...

Rebecca, no--not that canyon, but actually it was Provo Canyon!!

amy m said...

I have been thinking about you my friend and hope things are going well for your family and that Craig made it safely to you.

Your place was also one of my places long ago. I remember the quite walks and enjoyment as I was left to my own thoughts and wonder.

Your really should write a book.