Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Miracle on the Mountain

Before I launch into the festivities of our days here so far...let me relate a little story.
All the sisters went early for the wedding. Ann and Brendon to be sealed together. All were caught up in the occasion that brings so many to gather at the temple. In the "waiting room" as we anticipated entering to gather around the altar there was a buzz that prompted many a "hush" from the white women peeking in and out of the door. My mind was there and elsewhere. Answering the many queries of, "Where's your husband?" with, "Oh, he had to work", "couldn't make it", or "just a bad time". Then, someone said, "Are you sure?". I whipped my head around and poking above the crowd in the shoe room was that lovely bald head attached to a face with 3-day scruff. It was a miracle. And, apparently, an answer to my mom's prayer. Dr. Gooch had managed to steal away, driving through the night after two days of barely a wink of sleep. He was stinky and rough, but the most beautiful sight for me that day. His arrival completed the family. All together for the first time in 5 years.


My groom--with me. We witnessed hand in hand what we had done ourselves six years before. The same sealer, the same altar. We took to heart the advice, "You become more and more married or less and less married based on the decisions you make." I knew, sitting beside my miracle, that we were more married than ever."


He drove away from me today, but with a handful of bonus memories--unexpected and savored, each one.

All the cousins.

11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

How wonderful to find him there. I love that, more and more married. SO glad you could be together, if brief.

michelle said...

How wonderful! I love that he would drive through the night, just to be with you for a short while. Pretty cool to be at the same altar, with the same sealer. And I love the photo of all the cousins!

Heidi said...

Life's little miracles! What a great story!

Jill said...

Wow, what a great guy and wonderful surprise. How did he stay awake driving after working so much and then to have to turn around and go back home so soon? He's amazing.

I love what the sealer said about being more married or less married as time goes on.

That's a very cute picture of the cousins.

ingrid said...

A perfect surprise!

rebecca said...

Hurray! What a perfect surprise!

Julia said...

That story makes me so happy. How wonderful that you could all be together.

Jenny Dahl said...

This is one of the greatest stories I've read in a while! What a unforgettable treat.

Jeni said...

Aren't the Mangum boys great? Did you know that Aaron talked to Craig on the phone to keep him awake during that drive? He also had to look up the number for the temple on the computer for him. I'm so sad you're not here this summer...the boys and Laurie are on their way to the airport to pick Craig up as we speak...love you Jordan! Enjoy your family and know that your other half of the family is missing you and your littles.

Lucy said...

Jordan, I seriously get emotional reading about your feelings towards your husband. They are simply - passionate. You are talented with your descriptions and even though half of the time, I honestly don't understand the poetry of your words (that part of my brain is underdeveloped), I feel your description.

I'm glad he made it. No better place for a true family reunion than there.

Amy said...

The best kind of miracle. Oh my goodness. Isn't it crazy how that One can still make your heart go crazy?!